69 Pride of Pay n Pak shovel nose U-25...need pics/info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
I am building this hull in 1/10th scale and cannot find enough pics to make sure the little details are correct. Main things i need to see or know is the bottom and transom and if it is aluminum or painted. Also at the front does this hull have the bulk under the bow to help it get on plane like the Miss Thriftway? Little things like that will help make the boat correct. Thanks for any help, Mike

Hey Mike,

Not a boat I have ever seen many pics of.

I'm thinking 6926, Mikey. The team had two boats built for '69, so I'm guessing the deviation in MHR numbering is for that reason.

Here's all I have. Two of ER/CU models. See this site for owner's name of second pic:

and two of the original. CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that last photo,wonder if my MTO will build that? Thats why I ask wut MHR The Bob u da go to guy

Yep, its the 6926 since the 6925 was the outrigger Pak. Most of those pics I have seen. The scale i the pics is Jeff Campbells 1/10th scale and is a great representation. I am still unsure if the transom, center bottom and sponson bottoms need to be silver or the light perssimon or black. Its a snag I wish i could find out! I have my hull in primer and ready for paint. Maybe someone has some pics out there!

20121230_172847.jpg

20121230_172928.jpg

bob, mike,

your photo collection is amazing, thank you for posting. re "bulk" under the bow, if you mean a spoiler i'm guessing that the real boat had one, many did. don't know about paint colors or aluminum, looking for other photos too. thinking there is a wreckage photo of the Buzzard somewhere, still looking.

dave w.

The sad story about that hull is Tommy Fults was killed in it at the Gold Cup in San Diego, 1970. If I remember correctly, the hull was salvaged and ended up being painted as something else for the movie "Madison".

Tom, thanks for that info. I did not know that! I see you are building the Buzzard? Any pics? Mike

The sad story about that hull is Tommy Fults was killed in it at the Gold Cup in San Diego, 1970. If I remember correctly, the hull was salvaged and ended up being painted as something else for the movie "Madison".
Just curious, Tom, where did you hear/see that one? I know the Miss Lumberville was a stand in for the Madison's running scenes, the Madison itself was shown during the rebuilding segment and the Miss Burien was repainted several times to replicate several boats, the "Buzzard" being one.

I do know Todd Yarling was out hot dogging in the Madison during the filming and we dug a million brass screws out of the deck he blew out

The Buzzard was purchased as part of a package deal by Muncey when he bought Winged Wonder from Heerensperger. The boat was painted in Atlas colors and used as a show boat. I am pretty sure this was the Atlas in the movie.

I talked to Dave Williams from the HARM today about the "Buzzard", what happened after it was retired and if it was in the movie. Since Dave was the boat coordinator as well as a driver, I figured he would know. As Dennis stated, the boat was part of the three boat deal purchased by Muncey over the winter of 75/76, it was then painted in an Atlas theme as a display boat and never raced again. It was later sold to a gentleman on the east coast that let the boat be used as the Atlas in the movie and, as far as Dave knows, he still has the boat to this day. To take it one step further, as far as Dave knows, the owner summers in New York and winters, with the boat, in Florida. Unfortunately, Dave gave me the gentleman's name but, not having anything to write with or on at the time, I forgot the name he gave me.

Started the paintwork yesterday. I have it ready for clearcoat. Mike

20130527_181259_zps84332ca6.jpg

And clear coat on the hull. I was really pleased with how the clear laid on the deck. I used HOK SG-100 intercoat clear the day before, and yesterday sanded that coat with 1000 grit, then cleared. I like the way the 1000 grit worked with the clear top coat vs. the 600 grit I usually used...made for a very very slick clear. Cleared the motor hatch as well. Still need to finish the cockpit hatch, that will happen this week! Mike

20130529_062051_zpsef97d24d.jpg

20130529_062104_zps9fbbb0bc.jpg

20130529_062120_zpsa78c2c62.jpg

20130529_062132_zps22df17a8.jpg

20130529_062139_zpscacbd9fc.jpg

20130529_062214_zpse3d8a9f8.jpg

For some reason pics of the 69 hooktail boat are hard to come by. The 68 Eagle Electric had the silver bottom and transoms. Very nice work Mike- enjoyed the pics of your 1/8 Laughterbach build also.

Glenn

You are exactly right Glenn. I did a lot of research. My final conclusion on how the transom, sponson heal, and bottom was suppose to be was based on some hulls that Jeff Campbell built and painted. He did the the hook tail, and the 70 Lil Buzzard. He had the same colors in the same places I ended up putting them, so I went that route. There are a lot of pics of his hook tail on the ESU website. I have heard he was around a lot of the race boats/ teams over the years, so figured probably knew a lot more than I did! haha. So yeah, it was a guess on this hull, but the good thing is the top coloring is correct, and I am never gonna race this one, it was done as 1/10th scale for a fun boat I could run in the pond I have locally...not to mention, I just don't get to races due to other reasons. This is definitely the one I have taken the biggest risk with improper bottom colors! Mike

If it's the same Jeff Campbell i'm thinking of- he made some nice flat 3 spoke steering wheels from SS for the 1/10, 1/8 and 1/6 scale boats the outer rim was covered with what looked like black rubber shrink tubing. I bought one of each and tried to contact him later to order more but he did not have access to the machine that cut them. Think it was a cnc plasma cutter. They looked great in the old round nose boats. Wish I could find someone to make some now.

Tail cowling is painted. I will do the detail work soon. I am working on a new Rolls Merlin engine as I could not find what I was looking for out there. Got that kneeler in the background paint this weekend as well, and worked on the Lauterbach cowling plugs!

20130602_070022_zps78cbe684.jpg

20130602_065940_zpse7f1ea46.jpg

20130602_065955_zps8d60ec13.jpg

20130602_070038_zpsfad968ac.jpg

Back