5.5 mm bullet connectors...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOTWATER

I recently bought the UL-1 motor and esc and the plug-and-play deans connectors are great, however, I bought some 5.5 mm bullet connectors to use for the motor/ ESC wires. My question is, do I want replace the Deans battery/ ESC connectors with the same 5.5 mm bullet connectors? Will this make a great difference? Thanks for any input on this...

-Kent

I recently bought the UL-1 motor and esc and the plug-and-play deans connectors are great, however, I bought some 5.5 mm bullet connectors to use for the motor/ ESC wires. My question is, do I want replace the Deans battery/ ESC connectors with the same 5.5 mm bullet connectors? Will this make a great difference? Thanks for any input on this...
-Kent
I use 5.5 mm on all my bigger boats with higher amp draws or ones with a high amp draw potential. For the SV27/UL-1 motor and ESC combos a lot of guys will tell you to go to the 5.5's or better, but honestly for those combos the Dean's Ultras are fine. These are the standard in the airplane world for what they call a "high amp" installation, up to 80 to 100 amps.

On my SV27 powered boats I just go with the Dean's as they come. But like I said, some will swear that the 5.5s will make a huge difference, but I do not agree on this particular motor and ESC combination.

Just a Tip, If you plan on getting other boats and using the same cells it is a good idea to have the same plugs on all boats.

when soldering connectors to battery packs I always think "RED hot Female" (told to me by Paul P I think?) which means female plug on positive wire of battery pack ;)

-Kent
I use 5.5 mm on all my bigger boats with higher amp draws or ones with a high amp draw potential. For the SV27/UL-1 motor and ESC combos a lot of guys will tell you to go to the 5.5's or better, but honestly for those combos the Dean's Ultras are fine. These are the standard in the airplane world for what they call a "high amp" installation, up to 80 to 100 amps.

On my SV27 powered boats I just go with the Dean's as they come. But like I said, some will swear that the 5.5s will make a huge difference, but I do not agree on this particular motor and ESC combination.
Hi Bill and Kris! Thanks for giving me some direction on this. Should I just stick with the bullet conectors that came with the AC UL-1 motor or just go ahead with the 5.5's?

Thanks guys,

Kent

Hi Bill and Kris! Thanks for giving me some direction on this. Should I just stick with the bullet conectors that came with the AC UL-1 motor or just go ahead with the 5.5's?
Thanks guys,

Kent
I see no reason to change the connectors on the motor side. The UL:-1 connectors are more than capable of handling the loads of this motor and ESC. Same with the Dean's. My Spec boats all use the Dean's set up. I use packs dedicated to the spec boats as well, so no issues there.

My boats with Neu or Lehner motors, Schulze ESC, etc. all have 5.5 or larger all the way around. And I also use the "red hot female". Female plug on positive on the battery, everything else follows from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Bill Said, Motot/speedy plugs should be fine as they are.

Now if only we could only standardise which velcro goes in the hull and which goes on the packs LOL

Thanks guys! Switching from glow to FE makes me feel like I have a ton to learn again, but I think everything is becoming more clear thanks to people like yourselves for taking time to help. I appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Back