1965 Notre Dame

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kelly

Supporting Member
I'm doing my research for this boat, but do not have very good pictures of it. The color is a light blue. Does anyone now the name of the color, or better yet, the paint code? Any pictures would be a help too!

Thanks

I'm doing my research for this boat, but do not have very good pictures of it. The color is a light blue. Does anyone now the name of the color, or better yet, the paint code? Any pictures would be a help too!

Thanks
Tom, Hull 6407 ? 1964-1966
The third picture is from 1966. That year they made the upohlstry and a lot of the hardware gold in color. Same boat though.

Joe

That's it, 6407. There was a darker blue stripes on the cowl around the gold leaf "ND". Any chance at knowing what color of blues it was? Every picture looks like a different shade to me.

Thanks!

tom,

great boat choice. i agree that the light blue looks different in most photos i've seen. however the crimmin photos show same light blue on the '64 - '67 boats in similar lighting conditions.

i think ownwer shirley mcdonald would have insisted on identical same light blue paint on all boats, '62 - '68 including the '65 SHU SHU.

the newton 103 -M 1965 ND paint sheet i have does not show paint code numbers. paint descriptions are "blue sides and cowlings, dark blue striping on engine cowling and

medium blue U-7's.

based on my crimmin photos i think that rustoleum spray can light blue is very close. i suggest getting the graphics from mike gossler at PGI or other reliable supplier and then match the U-7's. the rustoleum light blue matched the U-5's and the blue in the Notre Dame college crest for my '65 SHU SHU which had the same 1962 ND light blue sides and cowling. i'm reasonably certain that the '64 - '66 ND boats had exact same light blue as the '62 ND and the '65 SHU.

the '65 SHU was the rebuilt / repainted '62 ND. my point is that all of the ND's, 1962 - 1968, had same light blue and white paint schemes. ( the '65 SHU having the mahogany deck ) the crimmin photos of the '65 SHU parked next to the '64-'65 ND show identical light blue in my opinion.

the newton 1965 SHU SHU drawing 106-B shows paint codes as follows : dupont blue 43500 and white 7372 ( i don't have the '62 ND paint sheet 106-A )

good luck,

dave

you're welcome tom. the ND's are my favorites. the '65 is a great choice. probably best looking of all, possible exception being the dropped sponson '62.

i built a '69 ND karelsen a few yrs ago and hope to finish a '65 this winter. a gas powered "stand way off scale". i think the light blue rustoleum is close enough but the key is matching the color of the U-7s and the ND crest in your graphics set, in my opinion.

check out the color art prints of the '62, '64 and '69 on the hydroartprints.com website.

tom,

for a quick look at some of the crimmin ND photos go to vintagehydroplanes.com, reader's photo albums, eileen crimmin collection.

3 -4 good photos of the '64-'65 boat. photo color quality is good depending on your monitor but the high resolution photos from ned on cd are near perfect. the lighting conditions at time photos were taken affected the color but you'll see the light blues are reasonably consistent.

you could get custom color mix based on that dupont number but i think it's best to "eyeball" match with your graphics set. rustoleum or automotive duplicolor spray cans will be close enough in my opinion. the rustoleum light blue matched my shu shu U-5's and ND crest perfectly. the critical part is matching the U-7's with the hull and the cowlings.

dark blue pin striping tape should be good enough for the engine cowling stripes. check the photos.

the white deck with the light blue hull and cowlings make the ND's the cleanest, most beautiful round nose unlimiteds ever, in my opinion.

dave

Maybe this forum could host a vintage pic only section area? YA got a pic throw it in the year and sponsor for that boat section!

denis,

a collection of photos of the classic piston era boats would be great. but a tremendous amount of work. i've tried to find as many as possible with limited time and resources on the web. there must be many private collections out there but finding them and getting access is extremely difficult. harry g. has been a great resource.

a listing of the internet photo sources would be a good start good start.

here is a list from memory :

ned crimmin / eileen crimmin collection cd catalog

newtonmarine.com

newton marine smugmug galleries

sandy ross galleries - harm website

unlimiteds detroit photo archive

vintagehydroplanes.com photo albums

leslie fields hydro hstory web site

chris denslow smugmug galeries - 70's era scans

hydroartprints.com

jim clark smugmug galleries and miss bardahl collection

1962 bardahl restoration website

miss thriftway replica website

miss whahoo replica website

bill osborn photography

phil kunz photography

e-rcu.org

electricthunder.org

rcunlimiteds.org

a couple more :

craftsmen 1/48 scale models (?) - great hull outline and graphics references

miss u.s. 1 restoration website

hope we find more photo resources.

mike,

i bought one of your cockpit cowls about 2 years ago. i need the matching front engine cowling to finish that project this winter.

need your u.s. mail address and total cost.

you can contact me via email : [email protected]

thank you,

dave weagel

Dave

I should of called you first! When I get it ready for paint, we will go over it again. Thanks!

Tom
My cowls may work for that boat!!

Back