.12 Hydro..A hydro class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larcor69

Supporting Member
Since the IMPBA has wording and a class for .12 or 2.5cc hydro hull's, let's get some hull's going and get some racing of these, low cost? guess you could use a Miss Vegas or Proboat hull with a good .12 engine it would be a fun class!! I know of a few who has built some nice hull's within the 20-30" hull size rule, but yet to see any at the sanctioned race's!!

I know back in the "old" days, they used to run .10 powered sport hydroplanes. Not sure what the class was at that time.

I do plan on building a 28 inch version of the 1980 pay n pak from scratch and set it up with either a .12 or .18...I would love to see a revived interest in smaller sport hydros again.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
the 2010 season is pretty much set in stone long before now.

this all starts even before december.

trying to get a race in order now is being WAY behind the 8-ball.

next year.

I've still got my Sport .12 hydro sitting here, I think that Dan saw it a couple of weeks ago at the Fort Wayne swap meet as I was either thinking of unloading it or fixing it back up as I gutted it for its engine and some hardware for the JAE .12.

Let's try to get some of the .12 'riggers going here in D-2 first before we get into the Sport .12's.

All I've heard about is that the one day events are already packed with classes so there isn't enough time in a day to add any more. With the return of the C-box class this year we're already pushing things. About the only way we'd be able to pull it off is go to 2 day races and it looks like only one club has been willing to do that.

Here's my idea. Our club lake is a little tight to run a full-sized course. The buoys are set up so that we're short on the ends in we want to run 6 boats. If I can convince the rest of the club members, we could pull off a .21 and under race including RTR's and "A" classes. We're already IMPBA sanctioned. Next is trying to shoehorn it into the schedule.

I adapted over a Delta Force Vortex electric hydro hull. It's tight in there as the glow plug just barely clears the cowl with a Nova Rossi. All of the radio gear is exposed like an FE boat, no room for a radio box.

Other facts.

Since the "A" class was raised from .119 ro the present .129 cu. in. I got all excited and now have 3 "A" mono's, 2 which are water ready. There has yet to be an "A" class (we're talking IMPBA here) mono race run since and that's been a good decade There's also an ABS class which has never been used and should just be removed from the rulebook. I had my first .12 'rigger back on 2003 and now we're finally getting that class going thanks to the popularity of the JAE .12 yet there were many others before it.

In as much as I'd like to see the Sport .12 class take off, I seriously don't see it happening anytime soon.

As we've seen, just because the IMPBA has a class for something doesn't mean that hundreds are going to jump on the bandwagon.

One good thing is now that's it's a recoginized class, I could throw mine back together and try to establish a record in SAW and oval just so we have a basis plus I might get my name temporarily into the record books until Glenn makes some passes with his.

matt420 here on IW is building a sweet little .12 hydro. I will see if I can get him to post up some pics

Hey Ron if you ditch half the cowl you can fit a box in the back like a vegas.Not sure if it takes it out of the sport class doin that but a new cowl could be fabbed up easy. I will be runnin mine in are club's new 18 hydro class with jae's,should be fun, The box i made is about 1/4" above the deck,oh ya i converted a vortex like Ron has done,good hull for the build, turnin out nice, pic's will be up soon, Matt

I am going to gather up the 165.00 for that little 82U55 hull, I plan to just put an OS 18TZ in it and run with the modded 1/12th scale boats we have running around here, cool and something different than a vegas hull!!!

Latest posts

Back