1/8Th Scale Rule Understandment

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Hagan JR

At the Evansville Race I finished 2nd place in one of my heats. On the way back to the dock my boat spun out on the back stretch and the front wing came off. I was told after that I got 6 place points.

What is the reasoning behind this rule? The race was already over and it didn't by anyways benifit performance.

This is not a bash towards anyone, Mikey explained to me that I got the 6th place points not arguements. I just think this rule is stupid.

Well the rule is meant to encourage guys to have their boats setup so parts wont fall off and be a hazard to the other guys boats. You want to buy me a new prop if I hit your parts in the lake?

Sam, I do not think it matters if the penalty happened in mill time or after the race ended. If the boat spun it may have been going in the wrong direction for a brief period. another one lap penalty. Been there and done that- almost took out the first place boat in one race. Won't happen again- I'll chop the throttle and let it die.

don't cut buoys or the course unless told to do so either, after the heat is over. someone could still be running or the pit boss sees a reason for safety .

I was the last boat coming back to the dock. I can understand before or during a race but the after part I don't like.

Its the Ryan Hobby rule. Don McKays boat lost the wings in Hobart and it cost me over a hundred bucks to replace my shaft rudder and prop. Keep those parts on the boats or the penalty is stiff.

Its the Ryan Hobby rule. Don McKays boat lost the wings in Hobart and it cost me over a hundred bucks to replace my shaft rudder and prop. Keep those parts on the boats or the penalty is stiff.
It is what it is and I feel is a good rule. And FWIW there was a racer not too long ago who purposely set up his boat so the wings would fall off on the launch leaving others to have to deal with the crap in the launch lane (set of typical 'glass wings weigh over a pound). Funny how he was always the first one in at the start of each heat...............

Last edited by a moderator:
My only problem with the rule is last year last race of the year while racing hard for second, third and forth. I had my cowl blown off by about the direct hit from a roostertail the third time I got hosed down. Because the my cowl got blown off even though it was a "racing incident" I got sixth place points.

I lost the District point Championship in 2013 by less than a 80 points. I went on to win the next two heads by the damaged was already done.

I think something should be added for "racing incidents" that's my only point.

Bert Dygert

If you were hosed by a boat that passed you there is a rule for that. If you stuck your nose in its your misfortune,tough call sometimes.

This is what the R/C Unlimiteds Rulebook shows for this situation:

Upon completion of a heat, sixth place points will be awarded to a boat which loses it cowl, fake engine, wings, driver or turbine tube. Exceptions are granted if loss is caused by collision or roostertail of another boat which is penalized (cutting off, chopping, etc.). If the officials can not determine which boat is at fault, no penalty will be assessed. Officials must announce to the drivers the status (penalized or not) of a boat which losses a cowl, etc., within one lap after the loss occurs. A boat losing exhaust stacks, mirrors or other insignificant parts would not be assessed a penalty unless, in the CD’s opinion, the floating part constitutes a hazard to other racers. This penalty affects only the points awarded, if any, to the boat(s) in question, but not to its (their) heat placement. Nor does it affect the placement of, and points awarded to, other boats in the heat, except for a consolation and final heat, in which the offending boat would be awarded sixth place points and last place finishing position of all boats left running.

My only problem with the rule is last year last race of the year while racing hard for second, third and forth. I had my cowl blown off by about the direct hit from a roostertail the third time I got hosed down. Because the my cowl got blown off even though it was a "racing incident" I got sixth place points.

I lost the District point Championship in 2013 by less than a 80 points. I went on to win the next two heads by the damaged was already done.

I think something should be added for "racing incidents" that's my only point.

Bert Dygert
Bert I have a question....did you get hosed by someone not holding a lane or doing it intentionally? If so I assume there are rules for that and why didn't it get called? As if I don't know the answer already....

If this rule is in place to safe people money if they run over floating parts, shouldn't this be a rule in every class? I know parts may be cheaper in other classes but that doesn't mean you wanna spend money to replace stuff either???

If this rule is in place to safe people money if they run over floating parts, shouldn't this be a rule in every class? I know parts may be cheaper in other classes but that doesn't mean you wanna spend money to replace stuff either???
This past weekend (Little Thunder Race) in sport 20 class I ran over someone's cowl and was taken out of the heat by it ( luckily only minor damage). Sad part is they went on to finish first (400 points) while I had to settle for a DNF (25 points)

[SIZE=10.5pt]The rule was really put in place to avoid "parts magically falling off boats" so they would "gain" a performance advantage. No more, no less.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]What sucks is whacking a wing because somebody was “looking for a performance advantage”. Cost to repair is just crap on the cake..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The guy that “lost” the wing don’t care.. it’s got prop marks all over it at that point cuz it was NEVER meant to stay on the boat for the run anyway.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

I know it ain't much but any parts you loose shaves weight and may give a performance boost in any class. Just an opinion but if this is a scale rule, it should be a rule in every class.

I seen two different cowls come off in sport 20 heats this past weekend, I think both went on to win those heats too

maybe we should make a "no flotation in cowl rule" lol.. that will keep em on.. and if they do fall off ya dont have to worry about running them over!

Grimstinker!

Back