1/8 Scale powerplant

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Schindler

Most everyone 'round here uses a CMB .67 Green head. If you have used something other than the greeny, and had success, I'd really appreciate some data. By success, I mean 55 - 60 mph, and a year without blowing it up.

I'm also interested in the speed, rpm, and prop of electric setups.

To me, it seems like the .67 greenys act like they have a rev limiter.

Anyone ever put a .45 in a 1/8 scale? :unsure:

Thanks,

Jeff,

Most just run with too long of pipe and way too much cup in their propellers.

The 67 CMB will run great it just needs a little work like all the rest of them.

I used to run a modified OPS 67 @ 10.50" carbon pipe and the boat was fast.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Jeff,

Most just run with too long of pipe and way too much cup in their propellers.

The 67 CMB will run great it just needs a little work like all the rest of them.

I used to run a modified OPS 67 @ 10.50" carbon pipe and the boat was fast.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks Mark! I hope I have time to build, let alone test?!?!? haha.

What is the max rpm I should shoot for (pipe for) with a .67?

Thanks,

I've seen Picco, OS, K&B, CMB, Mac and K motors all run in the range you're talking. As Shoboat said, it's all in the set up and how much you want to tweek your engine. As for using a .45, you MIGHT get away with it on an older, smaller boat in the 20-25 foot range, but nothing larger as it would be seriously underpowered.

My best with cmb green head ,cmb pipe at 12.5", 1457 3blade with4.5" cup ....67 mph on a shovel 43"

My best with cmb green head ,cmb pipe at 12.5", 1457 3blade with4.5" cup ....67 mph on a shovel 43"
12.5 from where?

You better run at the Nats if you're hitting those speeds. You'll walk away from the field.

Al Waters has a Shovel and I think he'd kill to get that speed out of it. Heck, I would too, lol.

Bill, I'll be happy to get my boats anywhere CLOSE to what you and Dave get in performance with your boats

12.5 from where?

You better run at the Nats if you're hitting those speeds. You'll walk away from the field.

Al Waters has a Shovel and I think he'd kill to get that speed out of it. Heck, I would too, lol.
I agree Bill. We know how fast ours are. He could get all kinds of records if he really ran that fast.

Jeff the biggest problem with the other motors is is simple...........PARTS!!! I run a Picco 67 EXR in my scale boat and ABSOLUTLY LOVE THE THING, but i bought 2 more brand new ones and a couple of used disk rotor EXR,s because theres no parts made for em anymore.Same deal with Mac, K&B and others... i got a CMB "Greenie" going in another scale boat that a friend of mine is setting up for and let me tell ya, if the boat is set up right, even if its a little heavy with a properly set up GREENIE, it will SCREAM! There is NO lack of power in those motors! Many(but not all) Scale racers in D-3 swear by em! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is any one running a Rossi in there Scales out there ?? They use to be the hot motor in the 80's but I havent heard of any one on this foram use one except the 21's..I know those are a hot little motor..

Greenies all they way.11.75 to 11.5.for pipe length.D-2 pretty well runs all CMB .67 green heads.Myself included.just needs alittle work to breath fire.but never had one blow or seen one blow.But have seen them when the water line came off and cooked the engine.other then that there great.shann

I would have to agree with alot of these responses with using the CMB, it just makes the most sense. Thats what we run in all our scales. I also believe that the CMB simply is more consistent than anything since the picco. Dont get me wrong though, I do understand that other motors work, but it takes alot more work and set up time. You should talk to Mr. Phil aka Bday boy if you decide to try a mac haha. Dont get to crazy with a short pipe though, still gotta be able to win that milling battle that we have in all our finals in Dist. 14 ;)

I would have to agree with alot of these responses with using the CMB, it just makes the most sense. Thats what we run in all our scales. I also believe that the CMB simply is more consistent than anything since the picco. Dont get me wrong though, I do understand that other motors work, but it takes alot more work and set up time. You should talk to Mr. Phil aka Bday boy if you decide to try a mac haha. Dont get to crazy with a short pipe though, still gotta be able to win that milling battle that we have in all our finals in Dist. 14 ;)
SO ya little red haired rabbit eared rascal,going to play boats this year with us? I went to Waddys house last nite and he told me the Buds coming to him,ha but he did not say when...... Detroit better stay out of lane one............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

SO ya little red haired rabbit eared rascal,going to play boats this year with us? I went to Waddys house last nite and he told me the Buds coming to him,ha but he did not say when...... Detroit better stay out of lane one............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
So it starts!!!!

My new secret weapon arm pit scale boat is gonna whoop em all this year!

In the early 90s we had an old heavy (weighed down so it stayed on the water but still didn't do a good job of that) but it ran from 51 to 55 mph... and that was an old Steve Muck hull running with an old OS Max 65.

Seems that one can make just about anything run good. It's just a matter of set-up.

Roger, glad to see someone else ran OS, mine ran just about the same, I only ran 30% and no pipe pressure, didn't have mess with the needle, I have a friend that I think has a new in the box OS 65 for sale, if anyone is interested I check.

John R.

Image19.jpg

Hmmmm.

Interesting choices of Power plants. For my two cents, I would take a greenie and outfit it with an os9b. It is an awesome combo of speed and having a responsive throttle and its easy to get parts for them. If parts were available, Phil Thomas has proved more times than I can count that a Mac will run right with them. It will be very interesting to see how the AA motor does. In this class I really feel you have to be able to go SLOW as well as you can go fast. Oh, and for the smack talk!! You guys are going to see something this year you haven't seen before, a Tony Tiger boat in first place using lane 1! No one will be prepared for that! haha!! Ken

Hmmmm.

Interesting choices of Power plants. For my two cents, I would take a greenie and outfit it with an os9b. It is an awesome combo of speed and having a responsive throttle and its easy to get parts for them. If parts were available, Phil Thomas has proved more times than I can count that a Mac will run right with them. It will be very interesting to see how the AA motor does. In this class I really feel you have to be able to go SLOW as well as you can go fast. Oh, and for the smack talk!! You guys are going to see something this year you haven't seen before, a Tony Tiger boat in first place using lane 1! No one will be prepared for that! haha!! Ken
Kenny ,Kenny :lol:

Hmmmm.

Kenny ,Kenny :lol: You can have lane one, all I want is three or four

Back