The BOAT

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevmax

Where can I find photos of the unlimited hydroplane that raced in the 80s that was plain white, unsponsored, and named "The Boat"?

Where can I find photos of the unlimited hydroplane that raced in the 80s that was plain white, unsponsored, and named "The Boat"?
Hi, I believe that was the "82U55" hull. Phil Thomas makes the model form,,the full size boat could probably be found at Roger Newton Plans (hope I spelled his name right)

Jerry

That boat raced one race like that, unsponsored. If your are going to do that version you'll need to find some scaled down woodgrain paper so you can spell out "the boat" on the decks. The way I've heard it from numerous west coast sources is that the APBA would not let the real boat race without markings so the crew cleaned out a nearby hardware store of woodgrain shelf paper & wrote "the boat" with it so they could race it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Don,

the crew cleaned out a nearby hardware store of woodgrain shelf paper & wrote "the boat" with it so they could race it.
Boy, lots of storys about "the boat". It was my understanding that they used duct tape for the writing? I think the only person I ever saw with a picture was Gary Prusse. <sp>

Paul.

Hey Don,

the crew cleaned out a nearby hardware store of woodgrain shelf paper & wrote "the boat" with it so they could race it.
Boy, lots of storys about "the boat". It was my understanding that they used duct tape for the writing? I think the only person I ever saw with a picture was Gary Prusse. <sp>

Paul.
Here we go again,i hope you dont want to build this boat? You can paint it Coors Light for a few more bucks and have a nice looking (intent of the class)boat just my 2pennies......Mike

Here we go again,i hope you dont want to build this boat? You can paint it Coors Light for a few more bucks and have a nice looking (intent of the class)boat just my 2pennies......Mike
Well I wasn't going to be the one to say it but................ how true. :p

As I remember that boat was "Miss KISW", "Miss Executone", "American Speedy Printing" and maybe the first "OH BOY", but I'm just going from Old memory, please feel free to cut me to pieces :lol:

As I remember that boat was "Miss KISW", "Miss Executone", "American Speedy Printing" and maybe the first "OH BOY", but I'm just going from Old memory, please feel free to cut me to pieces :lol:
Jerry you are correct about the names. infact it had 25 different names. also the BOAT tested without wings and raced with tail feathers, and the name was only on one side. (right) And I believe the duck tape name is the real story.

Ralph

This hull is Master Hull Roster # 8255. The "Boat" U-100 raced in 1986. There are a couple of other paint schemes that are almost as simple, and look much better. Have a look Phil Thomas' site at: rcmarinedesigns.20megsfree.com -- Look under 1/8 Scale hull 82U55, and you will see a number of pics of the real boat. Also www.newtonmarine.com as plan #138 Karelsen 29' pickle fork hull. On either site, have a look at the 1983 U-40 Miss Houston (white with simple blue graphics) and the 1983 Miss Houston with the same graphics, but with some red and blue trim work. I have seen only a few "Boat" hulls run over the years. Jim Auguston ran one in the Pacific NW, and Gary Preusse had the last one I had seen. Most of the negative comments you're getting are because it is such a "PLAIN JANE", and with a bit of color - - the hull is much easier on the eye. CHEERS !!! Bob

........... also the BOAT tested without wings and raced with tail feathers, and the name ............
Yup. The "Boat" qualified & raced with tail feathers in it's only "unsponsored" race format so to be legal you need to build it with wings. However there seems to be some individuals out there who feel they can ignore this. <_<

Hey Don;

got to agree with you there buddy.

one person comes to mind with the initials G.P.

races the boat WITHOUT the tail feathers . (not to mention a few other things illeagal) but wont go into that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

carl

:rolleyes:

........... also the BOAT tested without wings and raced with tail feathers, and the name ............
Yup. The "Boat" qualified & raced with tail feathers in it's only "unsponsored" race format so to be legal you need to build it with wings. However there seems to be some individuals out there who feel they can ignore this. <_<
Yes there is a fuzzy picture of it running without rear fins. The other paint schemes are not that hard so why run the boat with its fuzzy history. I dont even show that picture on the web site anymore for that reason.

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I refuse to build and race a "fuzzy" boat, so the idea of building "The Boat" is dead. I just won't do it. I'll opt for the Oberto or Miss Houston. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, and reasonable painter of true scale hydros?

Thanks for the info gentlemen! I refuse to build and race a "fuzzy" boat, so the idea of building "The Boat" is dead. I just won't do it. I'll opt for the Oberto or Miss Houston. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, and reasonable painter of true scale hydros?
Give any thought to the '85 Coors Light? Fairly basic paint job & cool looking boat. B)

Don,

The Coors Light would be excellent. Any idea where I can get the graphics for it?

quote name='Don Ferrette' date='Oct 15 2005, 05:40 PM' post='117323']

Give any thought to the '85 Coors Light? Fairly basic paint job & cool looking boat. B)

Probably the best spot to air this, I just stood around most of the mornin' with "Dave Villwock"(sorry if I mis-spelled his name, I didn't get his autograph) He was driving a SS 400 boat with an offset capsule(Left)

at the APBA Record Runs at Devils Lake, OR,,,Right where I live :)

Gonna get some pics this morning,, they mostly got rained out Saturday.

SUNDAY

It was pretty uneventful for Dave Villwock, his boat was 17mph short of the record. Three passes with no improvement! I would have fired the pit crew.

A "Lauderback" 6 liter National Modified from North Carolina shattered the existing record of 144mph to 152mph

Also a local boy took the 2.5 liter modified record from 132mph to 137. The Ron Jones hull hardly ever touched the water during the two 1000meter runs, it was AWESOME.

DEAN WERGES

E-mail: [email protected]

Dean will get the job done for paint

WES ELLET

E-mail: [email protected]

Wesleys Grafics has the Lettering for the 82U55 boats

Coors Light

Hey Don;

races the boat WITHOUT the tail feathers . (not to mention a few other things illeagal) but wont go into that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

carl

I agree that this boat is the ugliest around. Gary Preusse (initials GP) has several (not fuzzy) photos of The Boat running WITH other boats WITHOUT the tail feathers. Has anyone ever heard several boats running close enough together to be photographed that wasn't a race? He also has a photo with the duct tape name.

You have accused Gary of cheating in your post. I am asking you to be more specific. Because if you want to accuse a member of my family of cheating. You had better be prepared to back this up. Gary's The Boat is the CURRENT IMPBA SAW RECORD HOLDER. The boat first set the record with something on it that was questionably illegal. Gary didn't like all the hoopla it created, so he refused the record, removed the questionalble piece and reset the record.

This boat raced at the 2001 Internats then set the record a few months later. Why didn't you or Don or one of your other cronies file a protest as per the rule book at that time? Why go online and name names where the person in question cannot respond? And how is it that IMPBA allowed a supposedly illegal boat to be a record holder?

If anyone is interested in photos, I will be glad to pass them onto you.

David Preusse

District 4 Scale Director.

Hey Don;

carl

I agree that this boat is the ugliest around. Gary Preusse (initials GP) has several (not fuzzy) photos of The Boat running WITH other boats WITHOUT the tail feathers. Has anyone ever heard several boats running close enough together to be photographed that wasn't a race? He also has a photo with the duct tape name.

You have accused Gary of cheating in your post. I am asking you to be more specific. Because if you want to accuse a member of my family of cheating. You had better be prepared to back this up. Gary's The Boat is the CURRENT IMPBA SAW RECORD HOLDER. The boat first set the record with something on it that was questionably illegal. Gary didn't like all the hoopla it created, so he refused the record, removed the questionalble piece and reset the record.

This boat raced at the 2001 Internats then set the record a few months later. Why didn't you or Don or one of your other cronies file a protest as per the rule book at that time? Why go online and name names where the person in question cannot respond? And how is it that IMPBA allowed a supposedly illegal boat to be a record holder?

If anyone is interested in photos, I will be glad to pass them onto you.

David Preusse

District 4 Scale Director.

I see more than 2 boat almost every year on the water running around the course and they are not racing they are putting on a demonstation for the fans. I do not think that consits a race but I might be wrong. It depends when and where the pictures where taken as to wheather that was a race or not. As far as a legal, boat I bought a boat that won in the IMPBA that I had to modify to make it legal in RCU. Lots of pictures of the boat with a cowl on but none could be found actualy racing or qualifing that way, so I had to make the changes. Just puting things into perspective as I see it. I never saw The Boat racing without its tail feathers, but that doen't mean it didn't happen.

Back