My Rigger has the hops

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wowee. out of business, darn... ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

what i cant work out is how you fit 24 cells, a chunky speedy and a brushless 700 in a 25 inch boat ..!!! :lol:

it would float like a brick.

yep the 36 incher with a NEU 1521/1.5d on 6s and a h5 abc prop would honk.. !!

build a bigger tub, we have got nothing at all to loose.. at least the bigger tub would float when you rip the sponsons off it..

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
wowee. out of business, darn... ^_^ ^_^ ^_^
what i cant work out is how you fit 24 cells, a chunky speedy and a brushless 700 in a 25 inch boat ..!!! :lol:

it would float like a brick.

yep the 36 incher with a NEU 1521/1.5d on 6s and a h5 abc prop would honk.. !!

build a bigger tub, we have got nothing at all to loose.. at least the bigger tub would float when you rip the sponsons off it..

Jason
24 cells :eek:

No I run two 4s lipo packs, not 24 cells. Even with my two 4s packs I still think its a brick ;)

Raydee,
Are you running a hydro (flat bottom) strut or a round strut?

I don't think you want to add prop angle to keep the front up.

how far is the CG from the rear of the front sponsons?

Tom W.
I had a round bottom strut on the hull and then had it filed to a flat bottom. It seemed to run a little better with the flat bottom. I have the cg set at about 1" behind the sponsons right now. DO you guys think the mounting of the turn fin can be a problem? If the turn fin is mounted too far toward the rear of the hull....past the cg point will that be a problem?

Raydee,
Most flat bottom struts are wider than round ones. If filing the bottom of your strut helped you might want to just buy a flat strut and see what happens.

I know the website is down but Climate had a picture of their Ultra Blizzard showing the new hardware....strut was super shallow (like 1/4"). You could tell it wasn't planned because the prop tube came way down like you would think and then was bent back up towards the bottom of the hull. If the Matrix hops less with a shallower strut keep going. Climates boats might like real shallow struts.

Now that electrics are getting more powerful I believe you'll see more designs with rear sponsons again. Might want to add a set by screwing them to the outside of the tub.

If your to the point where your going to scap the hull you don't have much to lose by trying extremes.

Tom W
Tom, thanks for the info. I decided to try some more adjustments today. I ran the strut up higher than I even have and they really helped a alot. I then decided to try a different size turn fin that I made up last night that is much smaller than the one I have been using and is also closer to the sponson....not so far out like my other fin and that really seemed to help even more. I was actually really happy with the way it ran this morning. I was running 48mph with the lager fin and then ran 52mph with the smaller fin telling me that the larger fin was causing way to much drag. I on;y ran it with a Y535 prop so I will test it with my fastest prop (X637) and see if the hop is gone for good or not. I ran in fairly choppy water this morning and it was much smoother than it ever has been. With my big fin and the X637 prop the fastest I have ever had this rigger go was 55mph so I am hoping that with the new fin and the X637 prop I can see a bit more speed out of it.

Whats hopping now you or the rigger.LOL
I got the Rigger running great now. I made a new turn fin that is smaller than the fin that I originally had on the boat and I also mounted it farther foward. Not only is the speed up but the hops are gone too. I have another fin to try tomorrow that is hooked at the bottom a bit but if that doesn't run as good I know I have one that does. I also bought a new kit that I plan to scale up over the winter using my friends CAD program. Time to move up in boat size and power for next season. My goal is to run GAS boat size hulls using FE power.

Cool.....
How about another youtube video?

Tom W
I missed my normal club night so I didn't have anyone to work the camera. I should be able to get some more vid sometime this week though.

Back