Winter Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheacguy

As winter nears I'm thinking it's time to build a new scale Boat. I've always liked the MHR 6880 Atlas and Petes Pizza and a few others. Can Any One tell about this hull as far as 1/8 scale boat ! Thanks Dave

Dave,

The biggest problem is that the hull is narrow, overall width and tunnel, but dont let that stop you.

Built in Detroit by the Schoenith family, the original design (Smirnoff) bat wing hull was radical for the day '68.

Joe, I built 2 dumas sport 40 kits. The first I built it to plan. It liked to roll in the turns. The second .I widened to 11 inches, It did much better. I was hoping Someone had built this hull and widened it to the max. I'd like to know how it cornered ? Thanks for the Pics !

Hi Dave,I've almost finished building a very similar design in gas scale,ive increased the width of the tunnel and sponsons as I think it will handle better ,although if you go too wide I suppose it won't end up looking like the original boat your copying.

Dave, I just looked at the frame kit I have, the center section is 9-3/64", ride pad width is 3", overall width is just under 20", overall length is just under 48", afterplane length is 25 1/64". Those are all 1/8th scale numbers. I can still add some width to the tunnel for this kit as I have not put it on my cut templates yet, so its easily adjustable at this point! Mike

Hey Mike,

Here are the Master Hull Roster numbers for 1/8th scale: Length: 47.00 - 49.00", Width: 16.88 - 20.63", Tunnel: 8.775 - 10.73". Depth: 2.93 - 3.58, After Plane Length: 22.61 - 27.64", Picklefork Depth: 2.36 - 2.89". CHEERS !!! Bob

OK, Did some research. To keep this hull within its maximum total width of under 20.6", I am not able to push the tunnel width to the 10 5/8" that was requested by Dave. I am only able to add 7/16" more than what I originally had for the tunnel, in turn making it 9-39/64" wide. If this works for you, let me know. If not, I would say it might be best to use another hull. changing the sponson width narrower, with all that wide center tunnel width being added would probably look disastrous! Mike

I seen a hull like that was a dam tumble weed in the corners get ahold of Mike Betke his Dad Jerry was running one

Last edited by a moderator:
As winter nears I'm thinking it's time to build a new scale Boat. I've always liked the MHR 6880 Atlas and Petes Pizza and a few others. Can Any One tell about this hull as far as 1/8 scale boat ! Thanks Dave
After some research, and feedback from other boaters. I've jumed into this project. I started with Dumas Sport 40 plans. I blew them up to 1/8 scale size. Then I started with redesign ! Sponson, and tunnel ! I think i've come up with a model that is legal for the 1/8 Scale class ? I've started drawing the plans ( bulk heads, sponson insides, and cock pit sides.) I'll Post Up dates and Pics as I move along ! Thanks for all the help !

I got the kit finished last night, guess you have moved on to doing your own plans? Mike

I run that hull in thunderboat class. With a gas engine as far forward as possible, it's good for about 57mph. Anything more then that and it's up and away.

I widened an 1/8th scale hull 2" to fit a gas engine. It turns very well like that.

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back