Whiplash Sport 20 Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanKewley

I'm in the process of building a whiplash 20 and was wondering if it makes a difference where I place the rudder. The speedmaster hardware is setup for installation on the right of the strut, but the instructions say to install on the left. If I install the rudder on the left as per the instructions then I will have to alter the bracket to take advantage of the breakaway bolt. If I install on the right I don't have to modify the rudder assembly at all. Are there any noticeable issues with installing it on the right?

I'm in the process of building a whiplash 20 and was wondering if it makes a difference where I place the rudder. The speedmaster hardware is setup for installation on the right of the strut, but the instructions say to install on the left. If I install the rudder on the left as per the instructions then I will have to alter the bracket to take advantage of the breakaway bolt. If I install on the right I don't have to modify the rudder assembly at all. Are there any noticeable issues with installing it on the right?
with the radio box on the left, it would be difficult to put thr rudder on thr right.

with the radio box on the left, it would be difficult to put thr rudder on thr right.
I'm building it as a FE so I do not have to put the servo on the left side as there is no "traditional" radio box. I was more concerned about differences in boat performance with a left vs. right rudder placement.

I'm building it as a FE so I do not have to put the servo on the left side as there is no "traditional" radio box. I was more concerned about differences in boat performance with a left vs. right rudder placement.
It will affect handling in corners. A left mounted rudder, when turning to the right, will lift the left rear of the hull, which will cause the right sponson to "load", which normally helps cornering speed. This is how all the full size Unlimited Hydros have been set up for the last 20 years or so.

That's what I was concerned about. Thanks for the input... I'll just modify the bracket and mount it on the left.

BTW. nice looking whip propnut.

just drill out the smaller bolt hole, and make sure the rudder can flip up incase you have a incedent and use a nylon bolt in the bottom hole you can do it!!
rolleyes.gif

Any other mod ideas to do to the hull as to setup of the hull. Any changes that people have found to make the hull run better.

Latest posts

Back