Whiplash 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Skutle

Supporting Member
Folks,

decision time, I have a whiplash 21 I am working on and it's time for engine selection...

I have a OS 21 VZM (black, turbo head motor) I could use, anyone have much experience with this motor?

Can it be competitive, or am I wasting my time and shelve it for a NR 21?

Anyone run a Zoom 21 carb on this OS motor? might up the performance a bit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jay

I run the VZM engines in a rigger and after few changes (mine were buggy engine I put marine sleeves into)they run with the best of em. Run it and if you want something else later get a different engine.

Folks,

decision time, I have a whiplash 21 I am working on and it's time for engine selection...

I have a OS 21 VZM (black, turbo head motor) I could use, anyone have much experience with this motor?

Jay

Jay

The motor will work quite well as long as you run a carb with around .300 to .320 bore..(the OS 20J works well) Also you are going to have to make a lock for the glow plug cooling button..

I really like the VZM.. mine are strong and run well.

O yea.. I run it on the P3 plug.. it’s a tick hot but all in all very good on that motor.

Grimracer

Folks,

Jay

Jay

The motor will work quite well as long as you run a carb with around .300 to .320 bore..(the OS 20J works well) Also you are going to have to make a lock for the glow plug cooling button..

O yea.. I run it on the P3 plug.. it’s a tick hot but all in all very good on that motor.

Grimracer
Ok, I'm convinced, I will go with the OS!

Thanks for the advice!

Jay

Folks,

Jay

Jay

Grimracer
lock for the cooling button? can you explain or show me a pic?

thanks

Jay

Grim, I checked out your cooling button lock modification at the June race here in E'Ville. I can't quite remember how you did it. could you please send me the pics too...if you don't post them here.

Thanks, Tim

Grim, thanks for the pic!

Jay, wish I could help you with a pipe choice. I tried a MACS21 pipe with this motor in a Miss Vegas a while back with so-so results...but I certainly have a lot to learn about tuning. I now have an Andy Brown AB 21SS pipe to try whenever I get the Whiplash ready for the water. I have the Speedmaster motor mounts installed BTW. I have tried the O.S. 180* header and the pipe could possibly be run outside the cowling...I also have the NovaRossi header which fits a bit closer to the motor, so with a little massaging of the fiberglass cowling...the pipe could be run inside the cowl.

Not trying to hijack the thread just a quick question. I was looking on towerhobbies and I didnt see the .21vzm even listed on the website but it is in the 2010 catalog. Are they selling these any more?

Thanks

Jeff

Not trying to hijack the thread just a quick question. I was looking on towerhobbies and I didnt see the .21vzm even listed on the website but it is in the 2010 catalog. Are they selling these any more?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff,

I think they were discontinued a while back, you may find some used ones from folks on this site...

Jay

Latest posts

Back