What year is this Bud?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's hull number 8407, formerly the U-7 Lite All-Star. After performing poorly in it's first season, it was bought by Bernie Little, rebuilt and ran as the Budweiser T-1 in 1986. It was the backup boat 1987-88 after T-2 was finished, then basically retired when T-3 was completed

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure? I havent seen a Bud rc model of this era with such a cutout between the vertical stabilizers. It looks like an adjustable ride pad back there :unsure: . I would be interested in hull "JUST" like the one here in the photo .I love the gold and the turbine stack.

Hugh

Last edited:
HJ is correct. This is the first Budweiser turbine. The T-1. It raced in 1986 and filled in for one race in 1987.

It has a flatter front to the nose, the huge cutouts in the back and the older more compressed front air inlet on the cowling.

The picture of it hanging has the U-1 on the wing as that is it's final paint job, after the team won the 1987 Championship.

This picture is from 1986.

t1overhead.jpg

Go to about 9:05 of this video and you can see the cutouts you mention during the building process.

Harry, in the first video the boat also carried both styles of wings, the standard and the diamond wings are both shown. In the second video, the cutouts are visible at the 5 second mark as well

Harry, in the first video the boat also carried both styles of wings in the video, the standard and the diamond wings are both shown. In the second video, the cutouts are visible at the 5 second mark as well
The big wing was only used in testing. They decided on the smaller wing once they went racing.

It was found that the cutouts let too much air out. They put plates in at some point that reduced the size by about 1/2. They didn't fill in the whole cut out, but just put the plates on the bottom.

Hugh, i am close to having that frame finished as well. I found someone with a cowl mold for it as well and bought one. One day i want to build it! Mike

Mike let me know when youve completed it. I want one. I Would love to build it. Id like mine framed in hard balsa with 16th inch ply skin and 1/8 ply on the tunnel floor . Can it be done or is that too light of a material? I have light FE in mind.

Hugh

Last edited:
Hugh, 1/16" ***** ply is what you really should use for framing. I have talked to a few guys and balsa can crumble under the high loads the scales create. It will be plenty light enough. What power setup you looking to use? Mike

Although I have been trying to put together a 500.00 rtr 1/8th. scale and looking for a suitable 50.00 motor to power it. I like this hull too much to put anything less than the best in it. 2230 or 2028 like youre doing on the new ML GP suits it. Im hoping with the power I can run it original without the added ride plate. How many inches do you think youd do it in?A gas size version would be breathtaking. Would they allow such an electric package in d-12 gas class? Thats 13 pk hp in that 2028 probably more in the 2230 .Ive never seen scales take off quite like they do with a 2230 thats a beautiful site to me B) .Ive been taking another look at how electric motors work. The torque is where its at. Ive been thinking high rpm high rpm but no. The more voltage you pack the faster rpm but you lose torque . Torque and amperage are directly related. Not only that but with higher voltage less amps are required for the same hp but less amps mean less torque. My hp must be going as waste in a sense, because I cant turn anything worth turning.You dont have any torque. So low voltage big amps and large gas props is what Ive been thinking. To get it all right will take alot of testing and a hearty esc. 4p maybe. You really shouldnt be scared of the weight as long as you have the power. To me the weight sometimes helps the handling of a boat in rough water.Granted more voltage and more amperage the more power period but within the sport some the fastest racing boats run some of the largest props. Having a fe power plant that could turn anything you throw at it @ 20 to 25k would be strong on any level. Just an idea.

1/6th. scale Mike

Last edited:
Back