what size tank is minimum for sport 40 and 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

I know I run plenty of fuel in mine, but would like to know what the minimum is that I can get away with. I know this has been covered before, but for lack of a better excuse, I don't have time to search right now.

Thanks,

Cliff

I carry 10oz. in my Sport 40. I start early and have no problems. Usually have 2oz. left after a heat.
Hey Mark......Am I correct in saying that you are still running a Picco .45 EXR disc motor??

If so that is one of the most fuel efficient .45's on the planet.

There are some .45's out there that use up a lot more fuel..

Rod

I carry 10oz. in my Sport 40. I start early and have no problems. Usually have 2oz. left after a heat.
Hey Mark......Am I correct in saying that you are still running a Picco .45 EXR disc motor??

Rod
I'd agree Rod. My MAC goes through 15 oz in a single heat.

my sport 20 ( blazer boat ) i believe has a 10 oz tank and i have bearly enough left over if i go our right way and run hard the whole race..

that is with a nova.

chris

Rod
I'd agree Rod. My MAC goes through 15 oz in a single heat.
Mine too. The amount of fuel is quite dependent on the engine being run as well as the percentage of nitro.

Rod

The boat has had the Picco, a Nelson, and a Mac in it. I have never had a problem getting a heat in. I don't think you can make a 45 BURN as much fuel as I hear alot of people claim in three minutes. I think most of it goes out the tail pipe. If you are burning twice as much fuel you are making twice as much power right? Some thing in the set up is very inefficient.

Mark

RodThe boat has had the Picco, a Nelson, and a Mac in it. I have never had a problem getting a heat in. I don't think you can make a 45 BURN as much fuel as I hear alot of people claim in three minutes. I think most of it goes out the tail pipe. If you are burning twice as much fuel you are making twice as much power right? Some thing in the set up is very inefficient.

Mark
Mark , I think the reason these guys need so much fuel is they have to be going too slow. I also run the Picco but have set up Mutt IIs with other motors as well. 15 oz in a sport II you have to be spending about 5 min on the water. You should be off after no longer than 4.5 min and thats with enough to run penalty laps. Of course we run a mile course .

RodThe boat has had the Picco, a Nelson, and a Mac in it. I have never had a problem getting a heat in. I don't think you can make a 45 BURN as much fuel as I hear alot of people claim in three minutes. I think most of it goes out the tail pipe. If you are burning twice as much fuel you are making twice as much power right? Some thing in the set up is very inefficient.

Mark
Hey Mark,

I'am with you, never used more than 8-9 oz's in any 45 boat/motor combo ....

Don :)

P/S You can "use" fuel or you can "burn" fuel!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

P/S You can "use" fuel or you can "burn" fuel!!!!

Dude asked what the min he might be able to get away with...

I think he has found an answer.

Now if you want to say that your setup might not be as good as it could because your boat is “Using more fuel then it should” whatever “more” means..… lets talk about what it might take to use less fuel in a Sport 40.

BTY I use about 8 to 9oz per heat (I have an 11oz tank)

I vote…Pipe….

Mike Z

Can everyone who is reporting an amount also say what engine and pipe they're using? Perhaps that will show some patterns. I've got a MAC .45 with one of Andy's pipes.

Andy modified MAC 45, CMDI Parabolic pipe, Whiplash 45, X455/3

CMB-04-stock timing-custom head-CMB small nitro pipe........

Muck-sport-2 modified 1455/3

10 oz tank feeding to a 1 oz tank to motor

Gaday all

I've been reading this topic with great interest as ive almost finished my new sport 40.

The thing is in my b hydro that I run a Mac .45 that has had a slight flow job done on it. At moment the amount of fuel used is about 13 and a bit ounces so due to the limited room in my new sport 40 deal ive put in a 14 ounce tank and I plan to use the same motor in it . do you guy that run MACs think im pushing the limits?????[/i]

A couple of things to consider...

Your throttle finger. How fast are you going? Are you going as fast as you CAN (WOT) or are you going as fast as NECESSARY to win?

Your course control. If you are tight to lane 1, you drive a mile (as Eric mentioned) during a normal 6-lap/ one mile heat. If you are 10' outside the buoys, you run an extra 378' (or 7%) during a heat. That is more than one straightaway. If you get 20' outside the buoys, you are driving an extra 754 feet (an extra 14%). That is almost an extra lap.

SOOOO... If you are WOT for the entire heat (plus mill time?) AND outside the buoys, you will easily use up several extra ounces of fuel.

Just something to think about. BTW - all calculations are approximate (and calculated with 50'radii).

>T

I have a Mutt with a CMB 45RS and a Mack 10cc pipe turning a worked 1455/3. I use a 10oz. main with a 1oz. hopper and I have fuel left in the main tank when I come in. Having more than 12oz. on board is a waste or somethings not right. Greg

Latest posts

Back