What Pipe length to start ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert Dygert

Running a 40 Whiplash with a CMB 45 CAM with stock Carb. I want to switch to an OPS 67 Nitro Pipe what length pipe should I start With? If I run an after muffler do I have to stringer down the pipe? Is so how much? I was running a Prather 45 pipe should I also adjust tthe fuel mixture leaner to compensate for the bigger pipe volume? I'm looking for more top end.

Thanks

Bert

The fastest pipe i had on my RR 45 was the SPP carbon pipe w/ built in muffler section. Not sure of the jump to a 67 pipe will do what you want it to, if speed is the need, then shorten the pipe up some more.

Running a 40 Whiplash with a CMB 45 CAM with stock Carb. I want to switch to an OPS 67 Nitro Pipe what length pipe should I start With? If I run an after muffler do I have to stringer down the pipe? Is so how much? I was running a Prather 45 pipe should I also adjust tthe fuel mixture leaner to compensate for the bigger pipe volume? I'm looking for more top end.
Thanks

Bert
Bert, I have Same set up, 9-3/4 on pipe, reduce stinger to .404. 450/3 blade 4.09 cup. Don't know your timing, run and check plug. B) B)

Thanks

Bert
91/4 to 91/2 should get rpm Those prather pipes are kind of small volume for the cmb we run today. Is this a older cmb 45 cam?

Ray,

I'm running the stock timing. I have had Steve Peterson do some flow work to the sleeve. The motor has been one or off all season. I have to be honest though, moving back to Michigan and new job have really cut into my practice time. Heading to the pond tomorrow to see if I can find an improved combination. I'm tried of looking at Steve's transom.

Phil,

This is one of the Purple Head Cam motors the year before (I think 2004) the bad batch of motors that kept breaking rods.

I have a back-up motor that has never seen fuel.

Bert

Ray,
I'm running the stock timing. I have had Steve Peterson do some flow work to the sleeve. The motor has been one or off all season. I have to be honest though, moving back to Michigan and new job have really cut into my practice time. Heading to the pond tomorrow to see if I can find an improved combination. I'm tried of looking at Steve's transom.

Phil,

This is one of the Purple Head Cam motors the year before (I think 2004) the bad batch of motors that kept breaking rods.

Bert
Those motors work real well with the AB 45 parabolic muffled pipes from CMDI set about 9 1/2 - 10.

Andy has a new 45 pipe available thats supposed to be the same as the old ones.

Ray,

Phil,

Bert
Those motors work real well with the AB 45 parabolic muffled pipes from CMDI set about 9 1/2 - 10.

Andy has a new 45 pipe available thats supposed to be the same as the old ones.
Bert, can vouch for that, run that pipe on my Crapshooter, nice setup. Just ordered the new version for my PT SS 40. Will post results. B) B)

bert i ran that before i got the hr motor. the key to running the ops 60 pipe is reducing the stinger diameter and adding the prather muffler. with the stock motor timing u could start at 10 1/2 and work your way down. it also depends on your prop if you want to turn a 1455/3 u will have to run a longer pipe like 10 3/4 if you want to run a smaller wheel like a 450 u could go down to 10 1/8 and let her rip. i spent the last few years working this set up in the 1st gen whip 40 before it was destroyed this season just my 2 cents. i also have the brown parabolic pipe but i find that i got it work really good in a 40 rigger application. maybe i was running too long a pipe for the sport 40 application. if you want more top end you should look at your head volume and and set the head clearance and then work with a pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back