What 1/8th scale hull is this?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Schofield

Looking to see if any of you scale nuts would know what hull I would need to order from ML-Boatworks, or what Newton plans would need to be ordered for the Jarvis sponsored Hydro. See attached picture. Thanks.

Jarvis Hydro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is the old Smokin Joe boat. MHR 8700 - Newton #158

If you are new to the Sport there are a few good places to seek info on the Unlimiteds. The Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum in Seattle has a great website with many pics and updates. They also sell a book called "Hydros Who's Who" by Jim Sharkey. It is a must for any Hydro-Nut. Tells of which driver - drove what - at which race and which year. Also all the different names a boat has ever been... Priceless info. Christmas is coming, ask Santa Claus for one. CT

Yes that's the smoking Joe hull, but if you want that particular boat have to go with the ore modern hull like the Bud boat because of the cockpit. The only difference is if you ever see a ariel view it's cockpit is offset and the wings are the Lucero style that where on the smoking Joe. Crazy to see a hull that been around so long still be good condition. To bad they can't get it running fast.

That's U-13 Spirit of Detroit. It was leased from Dave Bartush by Jay Lecrone for 2013 season as U-14. Looks like Jarvis Restorations was the sponsor in this picture. It was Miss Di Juilo later in the season. That black ring around the inlet was a Doug Ford thing, trying to reduce drag. That hull has been around for 30 yrs or so as Circus, Smokin, ect.

Thanks for all the info an help everyone. If I was to build that boat to race in 1/8 scale would I build the hull that Chris refrenced? Or would it have to be a more modern looking hydro? I will try to do some more research and learn more about the hulls.

I also found this Jarvis sponsored hull that would be neat to do.

Matt

Look for a local club to join, as in some districs they try not to have a duplicate boat of a particular Hydro. This does help in racing and calling for the judges. Also nice to see a different boat.

Brad

Matt, that hull you posted pictures for in post 6 started out as Jim Harvey's two wing T-Plus hull 9302. Jim ran it for several years with Steve David driving. Jim later filled in the vents when Hydro Prop started limiting the fuel to the turbines. When Jim decided to call it quits, "Doc" Muscatel bought him out and ran the boat through the 2008 season

Matt,

Are you going to try to build this for the '15 season? Looks like we should have some increasing numbers in 1/8th scale in D1 next year. Awesome!

-Matt

Probably '16 season. I don't think the funds will allow for it. Hopefully will order a kit from ML-Boatworks after Christmas. Still need to finish up the T-Boat as well as the Cracker box.

Mark thanks for the hull information that helps a lot.

Matt

Would really like to see this class get big again. Al Long has a nice looking scale bud boat, and I saw Olly Douglas had a real nice looking scale boat at the Hamilton race. He did not run it, but it looked awesome. Hopefully Craig can get his done in time for next year
default_smile.png

Would really like to see this class get big again. Al Long has a nice looking scale bud boat, and I saw Olly Douglas had a real nice looking scale boat at the Hamilton race. He did not run it, but it looked awesome. Hopefully Craig can get his done in time for next year
default_smile.png
I WILL!
default_smile.png

Look for a local club to join, as in some districs they try not to have a duplicate boat of a particular Hydro. This does help in racing and calling for the judges. Also nice to see a different boat.

Brad
yeah, I've witnessed a 1/8 Scale final with two '74 Miss U.S. and two '74 Lincoln Thrifts running.

Then there was the first time I ran Gas Thunderboat, and all of the boats in the first heat were red and white...

Latest posts

Back