WATERPROOFING

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark couty

I asked a while back about waterproofing the out side and got many great responses. Now how do you do the inside ? How much is needed and in what areas ? I have the West Systems slow cure epoxy.

West Systems works fine, if heated it works better. Heating thins the epoxy, thus making it soak into the wood better. I know I'll get flack for this one, but do not thin West Systems with any solvent. Per the West Systems website, solvents weaken the epoxies ability to bond with the wood as well as it's water resistance.

West or MAS epoxy works just fine without doing anything to modify it. I like MAS as it is a lower viscasity resin and soaks into the wood better. It is also cost les than West.

Mark

I use West Systems straight. I've tried and like MAS but never seen it available cheaper than West......Mark where and how much are you spending per gallon?

I use West Systems straight. I've tried and like MAS but never seen it available cheaper than West......Mark where and how much are you spending per gallon?

Shop around on the net prices change drasticly from vender to vender. Remember that MAS is a 2:1 mix ratio not a 3:1 like other epoxies. So when you purchase the needed system MAS yeilds more. I like to get it from Jamestown Dist. Or Defender online.

Some other things to note about MAS. It is more flexable than West and it does not leave a blush on the hardend surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about doing the inside before closing in the hull as well as the outside?
When you do a wood hull, you don't have a choise but to seal the inside before the final close up. Even if you leave access to under the decks, you will never be able to get to all of the boats internal areas to coat them. On the other side of the coin, the outside of the hull is always accessable so there isn't a problem getting to any part the the outer hull.

I am using the WEST system from the local marine shop. buying the pumps and everything was a bite out of wallet but from here on out it should be ok.

I am sealing my T4 hull in a manner to be able to coat all surfaces but thats a good point. If you had to give up one surface I would think the decks inside right? I was able to coat on the table (dont tell my wife) and still apply most of the pannels and the T4 is very curvy.

..but with that said the decks may not be so cooperative....

thoughts? maybe a real light skim coat???

Before you put the decks on, rough cut them to shape. Pour west system onto the sheets. Spread around with a putting knife. Wipe down the excess with a paper towel. Let dry and then install on the boat. Been dong this for years. I also use 1/32 for top sheeting and overlay with 1.5 oz cloth.

Mike

I have only bought a quart, since I do not build many boats. I don't have a price since I couldn't find the sales receipt. I have a West Marine in New Orleans which is 30 miles from my home.

Before you put the decks on, rough cut them to shape. Pour west system onto the sheets. Spread around with a putting knife. Wipe down the excess with a paper towel. Let dry and then install on the boat. Been dong this for years. I also use 1/32 for top sheeting and overlay with 1.5 oz cloth.

Mike
Mike when you say sheets do you mean the decks ? How much excess do you wipe away ? After they dry you put on more epoxy to glue the decks down ? Please elaborate. Thanks.

Mark, after you seal the inside of the boat, you can also simply use a throw away brush and brush on a coat of slow set epoxy, West systems or what ever on the inside of the deck half, do one half at a time, and just tape, pin, weight, and/or clamp the deck to the frame work...just be sure everything is nice and square so you dont build a warp into the hull after the epoxy sets up...the nice thing about using a slow set or extra slow set epoxy is it gives you plenty of time to set the deck on, and cures to a very strong bond......

Mark, after you seal the inside of the boat, you can also simply use a throw away brush and brush on a coat of slow set epoxy, West systems or what ever on the inside of the deck half, do one half at a time, and just tape, pin, weight, and/or clamp the deck to the frame work...just be sure everything is nice and square so you dont build a warp into the hull after the epoxy sets up...the nice thing about using a slow set or extra slow set epoxy is it gives you plenty of time to set the deck on, and cures to a very strong bond......
Thanks Bill.

Mike
Mike when you say sheets do you mean the decks ? How much excess do you wipe away ? After they dry you put on more epoxy to glue the decks down ? Please elaborate. Thanks.
Yes. All of it. Yes. You do not want any wood surface that is not sealed. If for some reason crash or leak, it gets wet, it will dry rot and make a mess of the inside of the boat. Ask me how I know. Been there, done that.

Mike

My first two boats I did the same thing, not sealing the hull inside or out beyond spraying it with Formula U paint. Fuel was able to get to the wood as well as water, rotted out the second boats bottom in a matter of months.

Just bought some West Systems resin for $71.95 gallon from www.pbsboatstore.com/ out of Florida.

First time trying them.

Latest posts

Back