Warped Hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

I decided to make some udates to my Bardahl hull and found some things that might be an issue. In my photo gallery (Bardahl Rebuild) I took some pictures of the bottom of the hull. It is concaved at 3/16", should I level this out? I was thinking of adding a 1/8" sheet of plywood and blend out to the edges. I know this would add some wieght but can't think of a lighter way. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=668

You can level the sponsons so that they are the same angle on both sides. The bottom isnt too critical, adding ply would make it to tail heavy. what is this hull wood or glass? If wood you could tear off and resheet the bottom.

I wouldn't worry about the sponsons since the angles are to aid in turning the boat. I would worry about the bottom being concave. If the hull is wood, I would remove the bottom and relevel the lengthwise frames with some 1/4X3/8 spruce stock and the cross frames with 1/8X3/8 spruce stock. When you get the frames all leveled, replace the bottom with new 1/16th ply. If the hull is glass, I would remove the bottom and lay up some flat sheets to replace the bottom and splice into the existing framing to relevel the bottom. Both will add a little weight, but not as much as adding 1/8th ply to the whole bottom.

This is a glass boat. I didn't run it yet, I was told that the boat at high speeds did tip toe side to side. I'm kind of nervous cutting the bottom out and replacing with flat stock, but if that is the best way I will consider that. If it was a wood boat I would feel a little more confident. The only wood in the hull is the two main engine rails,transom plate and strut reinforcement. What if I lay a thin layer of foam on the bottom and level that and then cover with light fiberglass or carbon fiber, if I can find it?

It looks like the last inch or so is ok. Its only concaved a little towards the center of the sponson, if thats the case I would leave it alone since only the last inch or so is riding the water when its up on plane...I would leave it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you end up needing to fill in the concave part of the sponson, there are waterproof fiberglass fillers that are available at Marine stores, Evercoat Everglass is one (west Marine , Boaters World). Do not use standard auto body filler as it sucks up water like a sponge.

Mark

Back