Want to build a 8th scale (again!?!?!?)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT WITHERELL

Will the dumas kit (miller american)or (circus circus)make the 89 winston eagle ,there both designed by jim lucero... Besides the cockpit and cowl change,how much different is the sponson bottoms(ride pad,stake,etc).

P.S. Donot want to do, newton plans,unless I need the blueprint for just the sponson layout,to make the proper changes.

Will the dumas kit (miller american)or (circus circus)make the 89 winston eagle ,there both designed by jim lucero... Besides the cockpit and cowl change,how much different is the sponson bottoms(ride pad,stake,etc).

P.S. Donot want to do, newton plans,unless I need the blueprint for just the sponson layout,to make the proper changes.
Scott if you want to base your build off a Dumas kit I think you'd be better off starting with the Miller & making the changes from there. The Lucero sponsons on the Miller & the early Winstons are very similar unlike the Circus which have the added front pad. The boat you are referring to is known as the Winston Select if I recall correctly & I believe the Jones non symetrical sponsons were added on the day-glo orange full deck Winston Eagle build up in late '89. I've always liked the white Winston & have come close to doing it more than once. Here are the scale dimension ranges off the Master Hull Roster & the numbers are in order of length, width, tunnel, depth & afterplane length-

85-87 U-00/U-1 MILLER AMERICAN ( 41.75 - 43.75 ) ( 18.23 - 22.28 ) ( 10.01 - 12.24 ) ( 3.04 - 3.71 ) ( 21.49 - 26.26 )

89 U-10 WINSTON EAGLE (WHITE) ( 42.50 - 44.50 ) ( 18.23 - 22.28 ) ( 9.90 - 12.10 ) ( 3.15 - 3.85 ) ( 23.63 - 28.88 )

As you can see they are very, very close, go for it! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny I actually have this boat it was the winston. But I'm planning to make it into the Pete's Wicked Ale

Don there was a day glow version of this hull after the white hull and before the Lobster boat. After the lobster was destoyed I think, Then the original winston was modified with Jones style sponsons. Please correct me if I'm wrong <_<

In short theres a white version and a dayglow version of the same hull you can choose from Keelhulled :)

Don there was a day glow version of this hull after the white hull and before the Lobster boat. After the lobster was destoyed I think, Then the original winston was modified with Jones style sponsons. Please correct me if I'm wrong <_<

In short theres a white version and a dayglow version of the same hull you can choose from Keelhulled :)

The White and the Day Glo are the same boat just different paint jobs in the same year. It ran as the primary boat and the lobster became the backup boat due to poor performance. The Winston Eagle didn't have radiused Jones sponsons until 1991 when Steve Woomer bought the Circus Circus (8700) from Bill Bennett after he sold the team and equipment after the 1990 season. They built another hull in 1992 which became the "Select" hull (9210).

The sponsons for the White Winston are almost indistinguishable from that of the Miller and Circus hulls of that same time. Not sure where to get a cockpit and cowl for that. You could probably use one of Phil's and modify the nose a little. There is a guy in Washington that does custom stuff....he might have a mold of that one already. Only thing to really watch out for is the offset of the tub not sure if the Winston was as offset as the Millers were or not.

The White and the Day Glo are the same boat just different paint jobs in the same year. It ran as the primary boat and the lobster became the backup boat due to poor performance. The Winston Eagle didn't have radiused Jones sponsons until 1991 when Steve Woomer bought the Circus Circus (8700) from Bill Bennett after he sold the team and equipment after the 1990 season. They built another hull in 1992 which became the "Select" hull (9210).

The sponsons for the White Winston are almost indistinguishable from that of the Miller and Circus hulls of that same time. Not sure where to get a cockpit and cowl for that. You could probably use one of Phil's and modify the nose a little. There is a guy in Washington that does custom stuff....he might have a mold of that one already. Only thing to really watch out for is the offset of the tub not sure if the Winston was as offset as the Millers were or not.
I thought the full deck boat became primary after they broke the lobster in two. :blink:

The Circus sponsons as supplied in the Dumas kit that he is thinking of basing the build on are a bit different, I think the Dumas Miller sponsons would be a better choice IMHO. B)

From the few pics I've seen of the white Winston the center doesn't appear offest much if at all. If it is I can't tell, not like the later Jones sponson equipped boats where the offset is very noticeable. ;)

They tried to make the Lobster the primary but it was a terrible performer. Qualifying speeds were barely making it to about 106 and even in 1989 that was slow.

I seem to remember someone telling me once that the Lobster was rebuilt and the rest of the afterplanes and decks were added back in. Unless that is the 9210 boat I don't think they did.

most likely I"ll get a cowl from phil tomas,(long as he dosent mind selling just the cowl)and ill get the blue prints(not the templet sheet)from roger newton.as i still have, after 15yrs the miller american(from dumas)the out side wood sheet templets from the original kit that I saved in case i wanted to build a nother one.

the 1st miller I built, I wasted in to a dock low batteries (I wish I had put a falesafe unit in it)"O" well, you live and learn,after that, ALL MY BOATS HAVE FALESAFE NOW!!!

"Guys" thanks for all the ideas and info, all of you been a big help.

Back