Vintage Boat Identification -- 7 Litre H-10

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68Bud

Here's one for the old timers! The 7-Litre Miss Budweiser from the August 1971 issue of the APBA Propeller magazine. I've been wanting to build a Blazer Lauterbach and was hoping to find some good pictures or info about this boat. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here's one for the old timers! The 7-Litre Miss Budweiser from the August 1971 issue of the APBA Propeller magazine. I've been wanting to build a Blazer Lauterbach and was hoping to find some good pictures or info about this boat. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott- Not sure but the paint scheme itself looks identical to Billy Sterrets "Crazy Thing" My Dad and I have both have the Blazer Marine kits. Not yet assembled. His is going to the Edelweiss, mine the "Crazy Thing"

Give Larry Lauterbach a call. We raced limiteds against Larry for a number of years. He may know the history of the boat. Like I said it sure looks like the Crazy Thing just renamed.

PM me for Larry's number or you can look him up on line. Lauterbach Custom Boats.

Fred

Thanks,

Scott

Scott;

Look up APBA website and go to home section and then categories and then vintage boats. You will find boats listed and in the 7 litre section is a good picture of Crazy Thing. It is the same boat as the Bud. I couldn't find a picture of Bud but you might find some info in the vintage section on the history of the boat.

Bill

I ran against this boat many times with my H-888 Miss New Jersey 7 Litre hydro. I remember beating the Bud at one of the Presidents Cup Regattas, I think with Larry Lauterbach at the wheel of the Bud. I have the newspaper clippings from those dates stored away in boxes. Will dig them out and give more info on the boat. We had great races in those days with guys like Larry Lauterbach, Richie Sutphen, Mike Thomas, Gene Burgen, Bill Steritt, Dean Chenoweth, Dick Sooy, Gene Whipp, Guy Lombardo, and many other great drivers.

I am anxious myself to refresh my memory of that boat and period of time in my life. Perry

I ran against this boat many times with my H-888 Miss New Jersey 7 Litre hydro. I remember beating the Bud at one of the Presidents Cup Regattas, I think with Larry Lauterbach at the wheel of the Bud. I have the newspaper clippings from those dates stored away in boxes. Will dig them out and give more info on the boat. We had great races in those days with guys like Larry Lauterbach, Richie Sutphen, Mike Thomas, Gene Burgen, Bill Steritt, Dean Chenoweth, Dick Sooy, Gene Whipp, Guy Lombardo, and many other great drivers.

I am anxious myself to refresh my memory of that boat and period of time in my life. Perry
That was back in the good OLE daze of boat racing. Look forward to seeing you in Charleston. Dick Loeb

Perry, I am looking forward to seeing your collection, thank you.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott- Not sure but the paint scheme itself looks identical to Billy Sterrets "Crazy Thing" My Dad and I have both have the Blazer Marine kits. Not yet assembled. His is going to the Edelweiss, mine the "Crazy Thing"

Give Larry Lauterbach a call. We raced limiteds against Larry for a number of years. He may know the history of the boat. Like I said it sure looks like the Crazy Thing just renamed.

PM me for Larry's number or you can look him up on line. Lauterbach Custom Boats.

Fred
Fred, I agree, it does appear to be the "Miss Crazy Thing". I will contact Mr. Lauterbach to see if he has any photos of the boat wearing the Budweiser livery. Thanks for your help.

Dick: So good to hear from you. I will never forget those great ole days of racing in the 60's with your Mom and Dad and of course you. I am on standby for Charleston but hope to get in. Can't wait to see you to discuss the "Golden Years" of Hydroplane racing. God Bless, Perry

Contact Phil Kunz. He can be found from the Vintage Hydroplane site. He will also have pictures I'm sure.

If I'm not mistaken Frank and Buddy Byers ran the 7 liter Budwieser. I think that it was white with Budwieser scripted down the side behind the sponsons in red.

Bob Blazer

Contact Phil Kunz. He can be found from the Vintage Hydroplane site. He will also have pictures I'm sure.

If I'm not mistaken Frank and Buddy Byers ran the 7 liter Budwieser. I think that it was white with Budwieser scripted down the side behind the sponsons in red.

Bob Blazer
Thanks Bob, I forgot about Phil Kunz.

I spoke with Larry Lauterbach today and he cleared up most of the questions I had concerning this boat. Turns out, it was the Miss Crazy Thing, but that wasn't the boats original name. The boat had a dubious start to it's racing career, for sure, as the original owner wrecked it at her first race. Rebuilt, and raced again, the boat was later purchased by Billy Sterett and named Miss Crazy Thing. He went on to win the National and High Point Championship in the Miss Crazy Thing before selling the boat which leads to The Byers' involvement. Turns out the Byers family and Bernie were good friends and that is where the Budweiser sponsorship came from. Larry said she only raced a season or two in the Budweiser livery though. He lost track of the hull over the years but believes it ended up displayed outside on a pole in Canada where it deteriorated and rotted away. A sad end to a beautiful raceboat. Larry stated he built 3 7-Litres that were all sister ships of this hull, and the existing Miss Crazy Thing is a replica restored from the Miss Gangway, which I believe he said was one of the 3 sisters. Talking to Mr. Lauterbach was a real thrill for me as I have admired his work since I was a kid. Now if I just a Hundred Large to buy one of his vintage boats...

Latest posts

Back