Vented Hulls

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropNut

Supporting Member
I am sure by now a number of you have noticed the new H&M 31" hull. Great lookin boat. But illegal in IMPBA. Many guys want the new style turbine hydro look and this is one of them. Why are vented hulls still not allowed in IMPBA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure by now a number of you have noticed the new H&M 31" hull. Great lookin boat. But illegal in IMPBA. Many guys want the new style turbine hydro look and this is one of them. Why are vented hulls still not allowed in IMPBA?
That is a very nice boat

Is that a 40 motor in the 31 inch boat? It can be race in IMPBA hydro class. Just not sport class. You are out of luck in Namba too with the exposed tuned pipe, not allowed in sport class.

Look NICE boat so Can go entry for B hydro in Namba but not allow Sport 40 because measure min 36" up also must under sturt on deck Good luck! ;)

So Phil, If you made, say a turbine tube to conceal the tuned pipe?That hull would be legal to run in sport 21 in NAMBA?

Rick
Your in a Namba district read the rules, maybe the dist in Fla is ok with it. There are some of my SSP45 running pipes out the back of the cowl.

PHIL

Phil.

Is there anything in the rules about running it out the back on sport 20 for impba??

chris

Don;t get me wrong guys, that is not my boat. I was sent that pic from H&M. I was considering one for electric use. But if it's illegal in IMPBA, not much sense buyin one.

Ray

Don;t get me wrong guys, that is not my boat. I was sent that pic from H&M. I was considering one for electric use. But if it's illegal in IMPBA, not much sense buyin one.
Ray
Well that boat may be allowed in electric Impba or Namba, Look up the rule book Dont take my word for it I dont know the rules for electric. You are in Florida dont you need to go with the Namba?

Edit your subject title to say electric hull or post the picture in the electric forum, Im sure someone wold know the answer.

PHIL

Ray
Not Legal In IMPBA But Legal In NAMBA....(I have one)

2240/9 6s lipo set-up... WoooHoooo!!!

Has the NAMBA electric chairman waived the 25% A+B rule 13 for sport hydro hulls? If not then I would question if it is truly legal in NAMBA Nitro or electric. It is hard to tell from a photo but if you measure the recess of the pickle fork and add that to the vent it can not total over 25% of the over all length and be legal in the Sport Hydro Class (at least the Nitro Sport Hydro classes). Keep in mind that a final decision could only be made with actual measurements not just a photo. You can donload a set of the NAMBA rules and check for yourself at http://www.namba.com/content/library/rules...ba_rulebook.pdf

Eric Bourlet

NAMBA Sport Hydro Chairman

NAMBA 146

Eric,

Just a quick ? Is the Phil Thomas sport 40 hull's air dam legal in NAMBA? If I'am reading the rules correct it is not. Table-1, Section 20 under sport-40 says the air dam shall be 1/2 in. measured at the back of the sponson. The hull that Mark Grim measured was 11/16th in. Has Table-1 been changed??

Don :)

Eric,Just a quick ? Is the Phil Thomas sport 40 hull's air dam legal in NAMBA? If I'am reading the rules correct it is not. Table-1, Section 20 under sport-40 says the air dam shall be 1/2 in. measured at the back of the sponson. The hull that Mark Grim measured was 11/16th in. Has Table-1 been changed??

Don , I just learned that the Phil Thomas boat as it ships is not a legal Sport 40 in NAMBA because it has a belly pan or engine well that is too deep at the point that the rule specifies it needs to be measured dimension "E". If you draw a line across the back of the two sponsons across the bottom of the boat then measure at the point it intersects the belly pan to the top of the air trap it must not exceed 1/2 inch. As I understand the PT measures 3/4 inch. There is an easy way to make it meet the letter of the rule as it is written though. One way is to add a 1/4 inch deep strip of material to the air trap in the area the rule specifies the measurement be taken. I'm not sure why that rule was written as it was way before my time, I would be interested in finding out why it exist and maybe supporting a rule change proposal but the easiest and fastest way I can see to avoid problems at the NAMBA Nationals and making sure everyone gets to run is getting the word out that guys need to modify their boat. If anyone needs help they can contact me for ideas. I don't want to see the rules used as a way to keep people off the water but better a way to keep us all on the water. I have asked that it be noted on the entry form and plan on getting it in the next Propwash as well. Any one can read the NAMBA rule book at http://www.namba.com/content/library/rules...ba_rulebook.pdf

People need to remember just because a boat is mass produced it is still the responsibility of the owner to make sure it is in a legal configuration when entered and raced in an event.

Eric Bourlet

NAMBA Sport Hydro Chair

NAMBA 146

Eric,

Thank you for the fast responce. The purpose of my ? was just as you said, to let everyone with a P/T hull know of the problem & make the corrections to avoid any problems.

Again, thanks for a quick responce.

I believe the rule is there so that the belly pan does not become a plaining surface. As it sits, it does help on the launch. Just a thought.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good thinking on helping with the launch, had'nt thought of that. :blink: Are you & Eric coming down to the G/P? Henry & I will be sharing a room with "Old Cardtable", stop by and say "Hic" oh I mean "Hi" :p

Back