Velasco Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenng

I'd like to see how you guys built your Velasco hulls. Any interior pics showing fuel tanks/radio box/pipe/cowl latches would be great. Please reply here or to [email protected] Thanks', Glenn

Glenn,

Will try to post some pic's tomorrow of the new Velasco hull with my setup. ( tank, radio, motor mount ect!)

Don :)

Glenn, I will upload a couple of pics from a Velasco Hull I set up for Mike Stewart. This was one of the older hulls with a heavy layup so no stringers were needed. I am currently building one of the new light layup hulls with basically the same lay out. I have added a couple of supports to help firm up the deck.

I would highly recommend talking to Don Maher to get his ideas. He has been involved with the development of Henry's hull and is a world class craftsman.

Good luck with the build.

Glenn, I will upload a couple of pics from a Velasco Hull I set up for Mike Stewart. This was one of the older hulls with a heavy layup so no stringers were needed. I am currently building one of the new light layup hulls with basically the same lay out. I have added a couple of supports to help firm up the deck.

I would highly recommend talking to Don Maher to get his ideas. He has been involved with the development of Henry's hull and is a world class craftsman.

Good luck with the build.
Thanks' Will, The pics you sent pretty much mirror what I had in mind as far as eng./radio box/rudder placement/pipe routing-but I planned on mounting the rudder 2" from the transom and using a large straight 1/8" carbon fibre turn fin set @ 15 degrees. I do not think the hull is a light lay up-deck seems pretty firm. I was going to bottom mount the eng.(no stringers) on speedmaster rails attached to .136" thick carbon fibre angles. Thanks again for your input Will, looking forward to hearing from Don and everyone else feel free to send comments or pics. Thanks', Glenn

Glenng,

Here are the pictures of the new Valasco hull with my setup.

p.s. Will thanks for the kind words!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
don,

your velasco '72 ND looks very good. is the correct long nose cowling available for that hull ?

is that hull same as roger newton's 108 plan ? ( 43 inch, 1/8 scale )

i'm interested in the velasco gas picklefork hull. i think it was an enlarged version of the roger newton no. 128 plan.

is it still available with 5 inch wide stringers installed ?

what are / were the dimensions of that gas hull ?

thank you for any information you can provide.

dave w.

Glenng,
Here are the pictures of the new Valasco hull with my setup.

Great looking boat Don! Just have a few questions-where did you get that rudder pushrod? Also please explain how the rear cowl latch works-looks like it has a small cable running through it-how can it streach? Thanks, Glenn

p.s. Will thanks for the kind words!!!!

Hey Don, first off-nice looking boat.

Any chance of seeing a picture of your radio box opened- the stuff tube has peeked my curiosity ;)

Also , what are you holding the tank in place with ?? Same type deal as the rear of the cowl ?

Andy

Andy & Glenn.

The cowl latch is nothing more than two 2-56 ball links & a short piece of cable soldered to each. The fuel tubing acts as a small cushion. I will take some more pics of the radio box and tanks hold down. the rudder push rod is 3/16 heavy wall 6061-T6 alum tubing tapped 4/40 on both ends for the ball links.

Dave,

I think your questions can be better ansewerd by Henry Velasco. You can reach him at ( 1-562 ) 862-3110 or cell ( 1-562 ) 544-0664. He will be more than happy to" talk shop" :D I will tell you this much, the new hull is by far better than the old one!!!! ;)

don,

thank you for henry's phone number(s).

now you have me very curious.............based on photos of your 1/8 scale (?) '72 ND and comments about the "new" hull, it sounds like its a jones "108" picklefork.

i'll talk to henry, i'm wondering if he is making an enlarged glass version for gas power ?

i hope so. a little larger gas powered "108" picklefork with the exhaust inside the hull would make a very nice semi-scale gas hydro. as you know there are many paint schemes for the "108" hull which makes it perfect for scale projects.

all of the ND's had beautifully clean paint schemes and the '72 pickle was no exception.

thank you,

dave w.

Dave,

It is indeed a "108". The new hull has some very suttle changes over the old hull, but the performance "!!!! ;) I don't know if Henry's gas hull is a "108" enlarged or not. :(

Iwill post pics of radio box & tanks as soon as the damm battery for the camera charges :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
don,

thank you for ther added information. i'll try to contact henry soon.

the reason i asked about an "enlarged gas version" is because i remember that the previous hulls appeared to be a 1/8 scale nitro size and a similar but larger hull for gas engines.

they looked like newton 109 or 128 hulls.

glad that the new hull is a "108" and hope that there is , or will be , a larger gas version. the 108 is a nice looking boat with many paint schemes and with a slightly re-shaped long nose, rear seat cowling would make a great gas powered scale if large enough to conceal the exh system inside the hull.

let's see more pics of your boat showing the sponson running surfaces and the full cowling on the boat.

thank you,

dave w.

Nice looking hull. Where can I find the tuned pipe exit like you have on your boat? Does somoone make that piece or is that a homemade piece? Thanks, Fred

Nice looking hull. Where can I find the tuned pipe exit like you have on your boat? Does somoone make that piece or is that a homemade piece? Thanks, Fred
It is homemade by me. :p Well the battery or the charger for the camera went the way of all such modern thingamagigs :angry: (died) Will replace & post pics soon.

Back