Turn Fin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM DRIVER

Plan on running my 72 Hamns Bear "Miss Madison" next year. The original turn fin was straight and on an angle. Never turned real well. Would a hooked fin work better and on what angle (straight etc.}.

Thanks Cindy Driver

Hi Cindy. Yes, a hook will help. I'd suggest having the fin enter the water at a 90 degree and see how the boat handles. You can always adjust the fin so it enters on an angle later on if the right sponson lifts in the corners.

Try to contact dick Tyndall and get on the list for turn fins. The scale size fin should work and he has a gas hydro size a bit bigger that could be an option for the hamns bear boat, i think it was on the longer size for scales.

You going to power it with a new CMB67?

Plan on running my 72 Hamns Bear "Miss Madison" next year. The original turn fin was straight and on an angle. Never turned real well. Would a hooked fin work better and on what angle (straight etc.}.

Thanks Cindy Driver
cindy,

please post a photo of your '72 madison.

thank you,

dave w.

I've started running the design below on my scale and sport hydros. It needs to be big enough and at the right angle for your hull. It probably isn't as fast in the turns as a hooked fin, but it's a lot more forgiving. You can turn left carefully without flipping the boat. Start with a 20 degree angle from the vertical. Don't be afraid to play with the angle to get the turn right.

By the way, the second generation mount shown isn't strong enough for a gas scale hydro. The third generation finally held up for two lap speeds.

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
I've started running the design below on my scale and sport hydros. It needs to be big enough and at the right angle for your hull. It probably isn't as fast in the turns as a hooked fin, but it's a lot more forgiving. You can turn left carefully without flipping the boat. Start with a 20 degree angle from the vertical. Don't be afraid to play with the angle to get the turn right.

By the way, the second generation mount shown isn't strong enough for a gas scale hydro. The third generation finally held up for two lap speeds.

Lohring Miller

P1010193.JPG P1010194.JPG
My turn fin design is the same as yours. So 20* is the angle you set from straight up and down. How deep is your turn fin also?

Here's a pic. of Hamns Bear.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cindy
Hey Jerry, smile! :)

BTW, that 'ol Picco will be just as good today as it was back then if you're not ready for the big $ CMB...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy, I have a thunderboat fin you can have no charge. Might have to shorten the depth and needs a bracket. Will post pic...........==={}

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a spare Joe fin (Zippkit ) 21 ,to test . If you want. We added 1to Rogers 20 year old hydro, Same thing no turning ,worked out great. Adding a longer bracket also. Can't make it early

Ray,

Thanks for your offer. Will try the boat tomorrow with the straight turn fin and Tom's home-made hooked fin (?). May be taking you up on your offer after tomorrow.

Craig,

Thanks for your offer - will take you up on that. Plan to be at the pond around noon tomorrow.

Cindy (& Tom)

Hey Lohring,

Your turn fin looks dangerous !!!

I predict a pick up boat tender coming after you with a machete if they have to retrieve it - - with a big hole in his leg too.

When I raced in San Diego, one boater worked with Buck Knives. I had a similar concern about his rudders and turn fins also.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Ray & Olly,

Thanks for your offers on the turn fins (and to all others on your input). Unfortunately we didn't get to test the fin we had yesterday, threw the boat in numerous times and couldn't get a consistent needle. Turns out, the motor needs rebuild or replace. Will have to wait till Spring for testing.

Cindy & Tom

IMG_7746_zpsa2dcd595.jpg

Back