Turn fin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fin that Mike Hughes makes works very well on that boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am back in the shop making turn fins again! I am no longer able to do much with a file again, but I am putting about a 30 degree angle on the leading edge of the fins, very much like Andy Brown's fins. Don Ferrette has tried a few of these and he says that they seem to track better in the straightaway. All of the Sport hydro turn fins are shaped the same, just different physical sizes ( Sport Gas, .125 thick; Scale and Sport 40, .093 thick; and Sport 20, .063 thick ). All are made from 2024-T3 aircraft aluminum. All fin brackets are cut from 6061 bar stock aluminum; they are NOT made from angle stock. This makes them much stronger.

I cannot do as much work as I was doing in the shop before I got hurt, but I can still do a lot of what I was doing. It just takes me longer to do things now. If I can help you with any turn fins or brackets, please contact me at:

Virginia Craftsman, Inc.

8151 Sawyer Lane

Mechanicsville, Va. 23111

804-730-7865

Email: [email protected]

I would like to thank ALL of the people who have stuck with me and supported my products for many years. And in fairness to Mike Hughes, he has some fine turn fins, etc. that work just as well on the same boats that mine do. We have exchanged thoughts and ideas about what we do with our turn fins which will help all boaters in the long run. There is always more than one way to "skin the cat!"

Dick Tyndall

Yes, I am back in the shop making turn fins again! I am no longer able to do much with a file again, but I am putting about a 30 degree angle on the leading edge of the fins, very much like Andy Brown's fins. Don Ferrette has tried a few of these and he says that they seem to track better in the straightaway. All of the Sport hydro turn fins are shaped the same, just different physical sizes ( Sport Gas, .125 thick; Scale and Sport 40, .093 thick; and Sport 20, .063 thick ). All are made from 2024-T3 aircraft aluminum. All fin brackets are cut from 6061 bar stock aluminum; they are NOT made from angle stock. This makes them much stronger.I cannot do as much work as I was doing in the shop before I got hurt, but I can still do a lot of what I was doing. It just takes me longer to do things now. If I can help you with any turn fins or brackets, please contact me at:

Virginia Craftsman, Inc.

8151 Sawyer Lane

Mechanicsville, Va. 23111

804-730-7865

Email: [email protected]

I would like to thank ALL of the people who have stuck with me and supported my products for many years. And in fairness to Mike Hughes, he has some fine turn fins, etc. that work just as well on the same boats that mine do. We have exchanged thoughts and ideas about what we do with our turn fins which will help all boaters in the long run. There is always more than one way to "skin the cat!"

Dick Tyndall
Thats GREAT news Dick, glad to see you back in the shop again !! B)

Andy

You cant beat Dick's fin's, but if your in a pinch and need a good one for now, GrimRacer, has a nice little one that will work, there made for the miss vegas hull and you can get em' through tower hobbies or local HS..

Back