TURN FIN QUESTION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It CAN do a couple of things:

1) Too close to the side of the hull can lift the hull right out of the water. I know this was a serious problem with the Dumas kits that had the skid fin mounted on the sponson inside as the water had nowhere to go except into the bottom of the boat. If your boat has a deck that curves over the water like the unlimiteds back in the 70s, the water can be directed up and into the bottom of the deck, causing a similar affect. This does not apply to riggers as there is no deck to work around and the sponsons are further out already.

2) Moving the skid fin away from the centerline will not lift the hull but will improve cornering. It will make the left sponson carry the weight on the boat through the turn while making the boat turn flatter. That being said, the fin must be aligned with the boat or it could make the sponson hop or suck down due to several factors that I'll let others go into.

Your skid fin type and location both in and out as well as fore and aft will all make a difference in how the boat handles.

I expect to see some disagreement to my post so let the bashing begin ;)

Back