tunnel balance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbnate804

whats the proper way to go about adding weight to the nose of my tunnel? do i set the motor and then add weight to get the ride i want? how do you go about this part of setup?

nate

Nate,

Set the boat ready to run, fuel tank empty. Then add weight to where it's most convenient. Remember, the farther up the weight is placed, the less weight needed. Some put stick-on weights on the inside front spoons. Other option would to put the weight in the inside nose of the cowl. I've used "lead soup" made of chopped lead and epoxy. Each boat is different as to where the CG needs to be. Heard anywhere from 27% to 33% is the general final settings.

My 29" WOF has 2.5 oz of weight placed inside the front part of the spoon while building. It was a guess and it worked. Actually JD suggested start with 2 oz each side, but I up'd to 2.5 oz. I haven't added any more weight to the boat. Heck, I built a special set of 32" spoons with 1lb lead (each spoon) at CG for someone on IW.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned a little bit of balancing from Eric Bourlet and Carl at "VansRacing". It was to not concentrate all the balancing lead way up front of the boat which can cause turning problems with changes in speed while cornering. Alot of tunnel boats have difficulty running in rough water and some lead is added to the center of the boat for this very reason. With that in mind you may be better off adding the weight just forward of the center of the boat,,it will probably take a little more weight but you might not experience any cornering snaffu's and it should run good in less than perfect water,,which "rarely" shows up. Just my Opinion ;)

so if i'm looking for a certain percentage how do i go about weighing the boat to find this? is it like spinning plates on sticks?

nate

Nate,

you'll need a wooden dowl the width of your tunnel or something evenly rounded. You can buy dowls at ACE hardware for $2. Example: My 7.5 tunnel on dowl has a CG at 8 1/4 to 8 /12 boat complete w/rx and battery. I would roll the boat forward and backwards adding weight until it balances and can sit on the dowl without titling. Once that's set your done.

For adding weight I know some people are putting the lead inside the sponsons when they are building their boats.

Ronald.

my latest thought was maybe a spot of velcro or a canister. i could change out weights for different conditions. anybody try that?

nate

The cannister idea works. it is infact suggested in the Lynx instructions.

Try an ald film cannister

Mark

A smallish container with a screw on lid epoxied into the sponson with just the lid above the surface will let you add or remove lead shot as you see fit.

The film canister or a small screw-on lid type containers work great for adding and removing weights. However, we never mount anything that will be exposed to the air flow.

-Carl

Instead of using lead, I've been using magnets to balance my son's Lynx. I use trim tape to hold the first one on and then add additional mags as needed.

magnets.......sweet idea. any trouble keeping them in place if things get rough or the boat goes over?

nate

I do'nt beleave in adding weight.For the 20 years that I have been running tunnels I have never add weight. It's all in the set up.It is were you mount your servo's and place your battery pack and what motor mount that you use if you need to move the engine back or move it forward to get the balance point.

That's my .002 cents.

bbnate804 said:
magnets.......sweet idea.  any trouble keeping them in place if things get rough or the boat goes over?
nate

105891[/snapback]

The ones I've used haven't moved at all. If you are worried about it, you could get the mags that have a hole in them and hold them with a screw.

Dave, I'd rather use weight to adjust for conditions than adjust the motor each heat.

Lite boats are fast and fun to watch but they rarely make 6 laps in race conditions.

-Carl

Joe

I have a tunnel that I been racing for 7 years and I have never adjusted the engine every heat .It's a will balance boat with no weight.

Back