Torque question for turbine boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Lumb

I am building my frist turbine boat. I have built all of Ira Cottons boats and they all called for up to a 1/2 inch of left offset in the strut. This has always worked for me and I needed no rudder trim. Newtons plans show the engine line with no offset.

I would like to hear from anyone out there who are running these boats and whether or not they are offsetting and if so how much is needed.

Thanks,

Fred Lumb

I am building my frist turbine boat. I have built all of Ira Cottons boats and they all called for up to a 1/2 inch of left offset in the strut. This has always worked for me and I needed no rudder trim. Newtons plans show the engine line with no offset. I would like to hear from anyone out there who are running these boats and whether or not they are offsetting and if so how much is needed.

Thanks,

Fred Lumb
I think I answered my own question. Newton offsets the whole drive line to the right. I think this will work the same as leaving the engine in the middle and setting the strut off to the left. If I am figuring wrong please let me know.

Thanks,

Fred

I have a Joe Moceri hull and I off set the engine and strut to within an 1/8" of center. The boat has no bad habits and seems to nearly always come up and down even. Best handling boat I have. My $.02 worth

As you know, many of the 90s and early 2000s turbine hulls had offset center sections. Mine does. So I run the shaft straight down the middle of the offset.

I bought a backup hull that was 1/4 inch further offset at the rear of the boat, and did not like it at all. Whole shaft was angled but the motor was centered.

Good Luck

\

Brian

Latest posts

Back