Thunder Class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbird

I started cutting out my new Classic Thunder Boat today for next year, from scaled up Newton plans. Any one else in Dist 14 going to play with me next year? Should be fun...

BB

I started cutting out my new Classic Thunder Boat today for next year, from scaled up Newton plans. Any one else in Dist 14 going to play with me next year? Should be fun...
BB
Don Brown has one in paint. I have one but been slow to finish it. I hope we have enough to race at all the points races. A Zip kit here just needs the sponsons covered and the rest done........

BB
Don Brown has one in paint. I have one but been slow to finish it. I hope we have enough to race at all the points races. A Zip kit here just needs the sponsons covered and the rest done........
Cool

Don is going to have two for 09' and I think Doug is going to get a Blazer hull.

I'm going to try to get mine done for Atlanta but I have to decide on a paint job.

I am planning on running both Atlanta and Celina in '09', since I don't know if I am going to be able to be at the first two races in E-Ville. I will have two daughters in collage next year, and I have date conflicts for both E-Ville's May and June races.

DonB

I hope to have my new ZIPP Rocket ready by spring, Come on Mikey get on the ball, or send it to me to finish for ya. LOL

Tom

I will have Boss Holt's 71 Miss Madison ready with a new paint job and new dummy motor. I will also have the Gale 54 ready very soon with new updates from the last time I ran it. Can not wait to return to Atlanta and bring home some more hardware with the Gale.

Don

bb,

which newton plan no. ? what % enlargement ? are you building according to NAMBA dimensions and if so, did you

have to shorten the hull after getting minimum width ?

just curious about possible need to alter the frame / bulkhead profiles to maintain reasonable proportionality.

no need to disclose which paint scheme / U number if you're building a semi-scale model. just wondering which plan number might scale up to width requirement without too much shortening and re-profiling.

most of the hulls i've seen built to NAMBA t-boat specs look too short relative to width with a very few exceptions, in my opinion.

thank you for any info and advice you may care to provide.

dave w

david newton.......if you're reading this do you have any advice ?

bb,
which newton plan no. ? what % enlargement ? are you building according to NAMBA dimensions and if so, did you

have to shorten the hull after getting minimum width ?

just curious about possible need to alter the frame / bulkhead profiles to maintain reasonable proportionality.

no need to disclose which paint scheme / U number if you're building a semi-scale model. just wondering which plan number might scale up to width requirement without too much shortening and re-profiling.

most of the hulls i've seen built to NAMBA t-boat specs look too short relative to width with a very few exceptions, in my opinion.

thank you for any info and advice you may care to provide.

dave w

david newton.......if you're reading this do you have any advice ?
WOW lots of questions...

The Newton plan is the 101 hull. In IMPBA, Min width of 21" and Min length of 46". I had the plans blown up 5% to get just over these dimentions. I also took out some of the tunnel by moving the break as far forward as possible.

It should look just like a scale just 5% larger.

Hope this helps

BB

bb,

thank you for quick reply. yes, your info helps a lot. the IMPBA rules make it a lot easier to build a more scale like hull in my opinion.

btw.......the newton no. 101 karelsen is my favorite rd nose and there aren't many 101 t-boats out there yet that i'm aware of. roger newton's '68 bardahl and matt baker's '71 timex, both NAMBA sized hulls, are the only ones with correct karelsen hull outlines that i've seen pics of.

i built a zipp rockett last winter and painted it to resemble the '65 shu shu. while not a scale model, the zippkits rockett is reasonably close to newton no. 106. the kit parts are accurately cut and a lot easier to build than cutting parts from plans. but you'll have a much more scale - like model.

good luck with your project.

dave w.

bb,
thank you for quick reply. yes, your info helps a lot. the IMPBA rules make it a lot easier to build a more scale like hull in my opinion.

btw.......the newton no. 101 karelsen is my favorite rd nose and there aren't many 101 t-boats out there yet that i'm aware of. roger newton's '68 bardahl and matt baker's '71 timex, both NAMBA sized hulls, are the only ones with correct karelsen hull outlines that i've seen pics of.

i built a zipp rockett last winter and painted it to resemble the '65 shu shu. while not a scale model, the zippkits rockett is reasonably close to newton no. 106. the kit parts are accurately cut and a lot easier to build than cutting parts from plans. but you'll have a much more scale - like model.

dave w.
I almost bought a Zippkit but your right, it doesn't look like much of a scale. I'm old school and I just think the thunder boat class should be a gas scale class... With the rising prices of nitro fuel and nitro engines vs. how easy and cheap it is to buy a zenoah, I wouldn't be apposed to changing the 1/8th scale class from nitro to gas...

Boy is this a can of worms.

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
bb,

dave w.
I almost bought a Zippkit but your right, it doesn't look like much of a scale. I'm old school and I just think the thunder boat class should be a gas scale class... With the rising prices of nitro fuel and nitro engines vs. how easy and cheap it is to buy a zenoah, I wouldn't be apposed to changing the 1/8th scale class from nitro to gas...

BB
Very cool class and I will have one very soon. But, I can not get the nitro smeal out of my head. Some scale were just ment to have a nitro in them!!!!!!!! :D Se ya on race Day 2009

bb,

dave w.

BB
Very cool class and I will have one very soon. But, I can not get the nitro smeal out of my head. Some scale were just ment to have a nitro in them!!!!!!!! :D Se ya on race Day 2009
Good post Doug ;) Big Bird-----Worms, Priceless :D :D

Well I guess we have already opened that can of worms in the Pacific Northwest- We will be running "Gas Scale Hydros" next season along with the NAMBA Thunderboat class.

Take a look around the Pacific Northwest Thunderboat Association Website- You will find our club rules and an updated master hull roster for the class that shows the scale that we have chosen to use- You might also want to take a look at the board of directors link to see who is involved... If you have any questions please contact us through the website contact page.

Marty Shallenberger

www.pnwta.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Back