Thinking of a Whiplash build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keebibear

Im thinking of building a .20 whiplash for the winter project and have never done a wood boat before.Ive rigged plenty of gas boats (including a couple Insane sport hydros)and a few small nitro ones as well but never a wood kit.I couldnt tell you how many plastic models over the years so Im not completely in the dark but in reality how hard is the assembly?Any special tools I would need besides lots of clamps?Any tips or recomendations?Are the instructions easy to follow?Being as this would be my first small sport 20 should I go another route like a Phil Thomas hull?Thanks for any input.

The Whiplash sport 20 kit will go together real easy if you go by the instuctions that Brian give you.It comes with and building fixture. All the parts are CNC and fit together real nice.The fiberglass cowl is top of the line.

Happy building

Dave Roach

The Whiplash sport 20 kit will go together real easy if you go by the instuctions that Brian give you.It comes with and building fixture. All the parts are CNC and fit together real nice.The fiberglass cowl is top of the line.

Happy building

Dave Roach

I am in the same boat as you building my first woody.

It happns to be a 20 whip BTW.

Frame went together without a hitch. Am skinning it at the moment, work has slowed the build down at the moment due to working alot of OT. :) ( more funds for toys )

Have all of the hardware and the motor you intend to use there when you build to help speed up the prossess.

Fine tip pencil/marker mini squaires to hold parts squaire, mini clamps hobby knives, ca ,

Treat the build as if you were building a plastic model and you should be fine.

Check out the posting of a gas whip build on JRCBD for an insite to how the building prosess will flow.

I am having fun building mine , just take your time .

Like they say measure twice and glue once.

Hope you have fun with the build Keebibear which ever hull you end up building.

The whip is a sweet kit.

edit = ( wrong name used as person refferance ( Keebibear) ) had typed Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say any of you guys have any pictures of this boat..Or should I say of one that all ready built ?

Once you get on Brians web site take a look at the video. He has a 20 running a few laps.

By the way,

that is a correct size race coarse (as close as we could get). Put a stop watch on his lap times, they aren't too bad, and as you could see he was not driving on the pins.

As far as putting one together I have not heard anyone that has :D had any trouble. The best part, when you get finished with your

build it is "your boat". You will be very proud at the finished product because you did it.

I will have to admit that I am somewhat biased because I am RC Brians Dad. Thanks and happy building.

Bob

Once you get on Brians web site take a look at the video. He has a 20 running a few laps.

By the way,

that is a correct size race coarse (as close as we could get). Put a stop watch on his lap times, they aren't too bad, and as you could see he was not driving on the pins.

As far as putting one together I have not heard anyone that has :D had any trouble. The best part, when you get finished with your

build it is "your boat". You will be very proud at the finished product because you did it.

I will have to admit that I am somewhat biased because I am RC Brians Dad. Thanks and happy building.

Bob
I can support what Bob has stated. I'm not Brains Dad (buy I'm certainly old enough to be) so I can be unbiased. I've been at this game for many years, building from kits, plans and from scratch. I have built Brian's Sport Gas Whiplash and let me tell you that with the supplied building jig and Brians instructions you cannot go wrong. Not to mention, as Bob said, you'll have something to be proud of when you're done. Build the boat. You won't be sorry and if you have questions, Brian provides excellent customer support. His phone and address are in the instructions.

Late word on that Whiplash build. I put my Sport Gas Whiplash in the water this past weekend for the first time. Setup was per Brain Blazer's instructions. Engine is an M&D Zen 260, also based on Brian's suggestions. I have never had a boat that ran so well and cornered as well as this boat. And the speed - jaws dropped and eyeballs popped when this thing ran. I am supremely pleased with this boat. Again, build that Whiplash. You will not be disappointed. I certainly am not.

Back