Stuffing tube and flex shaft on p/t 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

I am working on a phil thomas sport 40 that has had the strut moved back aprox 2.5" and now there is a

aprox. 2-2.5" of the flex shaft exposed between the front of where the cable enters the brass thing(sorry I do not know what it is called) and the rear of the stuffing tube.

Will this work o-k or should i put in a new brass stuffing tube that will expose less of the flex shaft.

Phil has been helping me a lot and i thought i'd give him a break..

Terry

Sounds to me like you have a piece of tubing through the bottom of the hull that is serving as a through hull mount for the actual stuffing tube. If this is true you should be able to slide a piece of 1/4" brass tube into it. This should line up with the collet on the rear of the motor with about 1/2" gap to slide your starter belt in, and slide all the way through and to the back of the strut. You then slide a brass bushing into the back of the tube at the end of the strut and slide your flex shaft in. You can secure the stuffing tube by using Red Locktite between the strut and the stuffing tube. If you ever need to replace it you can heat the strut with a torch and the Locktite will release.

If by chance a 1/4" brass tube won't slide through the tube in the botto of the hull, you will beed to cut out that tube and replace it. I would replace it with a slide setup as described above.

Here's a link to a pic of a strut bushing. They are available from numerous suppliers.

http://www.rossisales.com/strutbushing.html

Hope this helps you out a little.

Later! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think I explained it properly.The part that goes through the hull inside the boat seems fine.it had a nylon liner and is up good and close to the engine and square collet that is threaded to the engine crank.

The problem I have is at the strut end of the flex shaft.The flexi is exposed between the end of the tube that is under the boat and the front of the coupler that goes over the flexi that has 2 set screws in it.

I have tried several times to post pics but need help.

Does that make anymore sense.

I will try to post pics again.

Terry

Ahhhhhhhhh a Square Drive, You'll have to get advice from somebody that works with Square Drives on that one. I use one piece flex shafts that go all the way through the strut.

Anybody help this man???

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the brass thing you are talking about is called ferrel, is this coupled to a solid shaft that prop and drive dog rides on, if so you can run a small gap in front of the ferrel to the tube, but I would not have the gap any wider than 1/4 in. 2-1/4 in. is too wide. hope that helps chuck

Yes that's it .it is called a ferrel and i was mistaken The gap between the front or the pointed end and the end of the brass tube is aprox 1".

I figure that would be fine to compensate for any strut height adjustment.

Thanks guys.

1" will be fine from the front of the ferrel to the start of the stuffing tube. The silver solder pregnates into the cable a 1/4" or so in front of the ferrel. So in all reality it is 3/4" or less. You just want to keep it from whipping around and pulling out of the collet on the motor.

Mike

I am starting to put the boat back together correctly I hope.I changed a ton of stuff and re-glued re-made things much better I think.

I have a question about the prop/strut depth.

I just stuck the bolt thru the bracket and slot in the strut and let it loosly set there so the bolt rests at the top of the slot in the strut.

I noticed that with the slot all the way down the tip of the prop is only about 1/8 below the bottom of the boat at that positions so if i have to move the strut up the prop may actually be above the bottom of the rear of the boat does this sound correct ?

If not i want to fix the problem now The prop is an x450/2

Thanks Guys..

Terry

I also run a x450 blade and yes one half of the blade is slightly above the bottom of the hull, just make sure that there is enough clearance on the front side of the blade when the cable winds up some that the prop wont hit the transom. Sport 40 rules are that the strut barrel cannot protrude past the transom but the drivedog can, set it up like this and you should not have a problem with blade clearance. hope that helped chuck

I also run a x450 blade and yes one half of the blade is slightly above the bottom of the hull, just make sure that there is enough clearance on the front side of the blade when the cable winds up some that the prop wont hit the transom. Sport 40 rules are that the strut barrel cannot protrude past the transom but the drivedog can, set it up like this and you should not have a problem with blade clearance. hope that helped chuck
Also a good starting point for strut depth is 3/4 in. down to the center of the prop shaft. 2,3,4 degrees of angle on strut to help hold the front of the boat down at speeds

Back