Stuck and need help!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cowan

I am building a 1/8 scale Hydro U-50 Spirit of the Navy 2008 off Newton Marine plans#171 I Purchased. I am stuck and need to see if some one might be able to help? I am stuck at the front of the boat where the canopy will sit? Does any one have pictures that would show how the Engine frame panels join at the front? And possibly a link to where I can buy a canopy and rear wing or plans on how to build my own? Thanks is advance for the help.

Ray, that is the boat tht I am building. I will take some pictures of what I have so far and post them.

Thanks

Jeff, i have built the boat already and it is in the painting stage. I am finishing the mold for the Bud style cowling and know who has the mold for the Pico cowling. I have a local decal shop making the decals so get with me on that if you want.

I am building a 1/8 scale Hydro U-50 Spirit of the Navy 2008 off Newton Marine plans#171 I Purchased. I am stuck and need to see if some one might be able to help? I am stuck at the front of the boat where the canopy will sit? Does any one have pictures that would show how the Engine frame panels join at the front? And possibly a link to where I can buy a canopy and rear wing or plans on how to build my own? Thanks is advance for the help.
Jeff, you have to have the canopy/cowling before you go any further. Since each guy that makes cowlings might have slight variations, you need the one you are going to use.The width of the cowling/canopy determines how far to bring the engine mains together at the nose. You set the cowling on the straight part of the engine mains and then draw the engine mains together at the front until they match the cowling/canopy width. Most cowlings you get are going to require some fitting so they match the deck contour. I like to put a little spray rail right under where the cowl sits in the vent between deck and the rear of the canard. It only has to be 1/16" by 1/8th " and sanded to a taper at the bottom. Some guys use West Systems Epoxy and balloons to do the same thing. It will keep the fire in the motor when you get washed down or drive up someone's roostertail.

Jerry Logan makes a Leland cowling(contact off of the UNW website-he is the registrar). The RC Boat Co. might also make a cowling for that boat. Should pretty close to the standard Picco, Znetix cowling. They should have wings and uprights too.

Here's a little tip, if you plan on doing a lot heat racing I would order 2 cowlings and 2 sets of wings/uprights. It's not that much more effort to fit a spare cowling and painting an extra cowling and wings/upright is no sweat when you've already got paint in the gun. The uprights especially seem to take a beating.

Back