strengthening the rear of a PT stealth cowl

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys i have one of phil's stealth cowls for my sport 40 and want to leave it the entire length and not cut it 6" from the transom like some do..

I have seen many guys use the whole length like i am going to do but i want to know what you guys are using to stiffen up the rear portion that is very flimbsy.

I spoke to phil today and i forget what he said to use as far as thickness of plywood to epoxy to that area .should have written it down but i would think a good quality 1/16"or 3/32" would be fine.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
use 1/16th ply and you will be fine. Make sure you leave about 1/18 in clearance from the edges of the cowl to keep the fit to the hull flat.

use 1/16th ply and you will be fine. Make sure you leave about 1/18 in clearance from the edges of the cowl to keep the fit to the hull flat.
Carbon fiber also works good. Just one layer works fine

glass in some carbonfiber cloth, or a sheet of carbon fiber, I need the same for my 82U55 hull!!????
Id recommend cutting it or you will be Phils new found friend. I lost 3 cowls that way. With the rear 5 inches cut off you have a blow out panel that will keep the cowl in one piece. Also you need to move the mounts up as far as you can........

not sure what direction Terry is going about for the strut, but I believe the strut will be on the transom, yes I know it may limit where he can race at.

unless he does it the other way.

1/16th ply sounds good terry.

Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
glass in some carbonfiber cloth, or a sheet of carbon fiber, I need the same for my 82U55 hull!!????
Id recommend cutting it or you will be Phils new found friend. I lost 3 cowls that way. With the rear 5 inches cut off you have a blow out panel that will keep the cowl in one piece. Also you need to move the mounts up as far as you can........
MIKEY.. I was going to say you should know best I have sold more cowls to you than anyone HA.

Some 1/16 ply strip about 1 inch wide in the rear would work, may have to cut away the loy where the cowl latches sit. If you really want is stiff add some1/16th ply strips about 1/2 high and box it in.

As far as I can tell based on the rule book regarding strut placement, No the strut cannot be placed on the transom.

Section H

Nitro Special Classes

Sportsman 40 Hydro (Sport 40 Hydro)

7. No part of the strut may protrude behind the transom of the boat, or have a width

greater than 9/16 inches or a length longer than 3 inches.

Paul

I and my son have 2 boats with the stealth cowl. I just attach the rear of the cowl to the transom. I have had a few come off but never broke one in many years of racing. I did cut one in half with my own boat once :D

its all good Paul,

I have checked with Terry and the strut will be coming from the bottom.

Dan.

I decided to go the plywood and full cowl route and see what happens.It's nice and strong and yes it may break ahead of the reinforcing we'll see.

Thanks guys

Back