Steering servo for 1/8 scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolschool

Hi Guys,

I know this has been talked about before, but a search turned up 35 pages!!

What's a good rudder servo for a 1/8 scale boat. I have a quarter scale at the moment but after a radio box re-design, space is the issue and would prefer a high torque standard sized servo.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gino

I use an Airtonics 8611 with my Futaba radios. $95 each

JR 8611A $114.95 for one or $95 each for 2 or more.

JR redesigned the 8611 to make the output shaft support stronger. The new servo is the 8611A, with the "A" designating the new case. I recommend the Hitec HS-5955 because it is programmable and has gears that don't wear, but for you die-hard JR pilots, here you go! It is a great servo and JR does have outstanding service.

JR's best digital servo rated is now rated at 320 oz-in of torque!.

Featuring two ball bearings, digital circuitry, an almost unbreakable metal and nylon gear train.

Torque: 320 oz/in @ 6.0v

Speed: .14 sec/60° @ 4.8v

Dimensions: 1.58 x .82 x 1.56 in

Weight: 2.24 oz

Gears: Alloy w/ metal/nylon B1 gear

IN STOCK

Where I buy them.

Scroll down the page a bit.

Hitec 945 MG.......$75 canadian.

standard size and 122.2 oz. in. of torque at 4.8 volts and 152.75 oz.in. with 6 volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have raced hard with the Airtronics 94358 since it was first introduced, turning everything from my A outboards all the way up to the Gas Sport Hydro. It's a great long lasting servo that will work in any boat. Another nice thing is if you run more than one class you don't need as many spares (haven't needed one yet but always good to have one just in case) one spare will work for any boat in your fleet. Use it on 5 cells and it is strong ,fast ,and reliable.

Hitec 945mg is a really sturdy and rugged servo with lots of torque and price wise a little cheaper than digital servos. The mounts broke in my boat and i was still able to turn it and finish a heat allbeit from lane 20 but i kept working!!!

Back