Square drive setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

Where do you find the stuff to convert to 1/4 square drive? Im tired of taking out engine bearings

Mike,

Lenny Blake (Rum Racing) does the 1 piece square drive couplings in the States and Aeromarine do square drive inserts for the 3 piece flex hexes. In Australia, Ken Rettalick can do custom 1 piece in brass (not as hard on the squared cables as steel). Squared end cables are available in a few different brands. Then you need the ferrule, a prop shaft, drive dog and a thrust bearing or teflon washers. I believe Octura sell those parts still. Could be wrong though - I don't use them myself.

I use hardened ejector pins as prop shafts & a friend makes the ferrules for me to suit the cable and shaft fit so there is no run-out.

Tim

P.S If anyone out there has any 1/4-28 to 3/16 square OCTURA 1 piece couplings they want to part with - please PM me.

http://mecoa.com/acc/marine/index.htm#balljoint

use this on the Eng and get a cable made by aeromarine to the right length.

Put a clamp on the cable so it dose not come out on deceleration.

Thrust washers, there are many kinds. I use Teflon washers and change them when I service the cable.

only big deal is you have to remove the drive dog if you change the strut bushing. It will not pass over the square end of the cable.

David

Mike,

Check with Steve Peterson he and Tom had a die to make a conventional shaft square on the engine end. Then you just need an insert to the Aeromarine collet and a 1/4 shaft collar and you are done.

I ran the three piece set-up with the underwater ferrule, and stub shaft. I ever had any issues. You will need thrust bearing or washers with either square drive set-up. Octura sells everything yo u need.

Bert

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes cable looks new,maybe the bearing did not seat properly. I will loosen flywheel and re cinch it

Mike,

Dave and i run square drives.

I can get you 1/4 square drive collet Aeromarine

24 inch 1/4 square drive cable Aeromarine

24 inch Teflon lined stuffing tube

1/4 reduced to 3/16 ferrule Aeromarine

3/16 hardened steel stub shaft going through a Gary Jensen strut with roller bearings

3/16 drive dog Aeromarine.

I can build to your dimensions or just parts.

Every scale in RCU has converted from hard or articulated shafts to this system, except FE. However, Kirk Maupin uses square drive in his FE.

IMHO the only way to go.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Back