Sport Hydro Classes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

I guess I'm looking for information on this subject. I am reading from the IMPBA rule book for Sport Hydroplanes (I-5). Now under purpose it lists as intent "...to duplicate the full size Limited Inboard, Unlimited Light and Unlimited hydroplanes as closely as possible." Yet in the next section it restricts the rear use of "shoes, pads or wedges." Scale but not too scale? I understand it should not run on rear shoes, this would class as a rigger. Most of the newer unlimiteds all have some sort of rear shoe. ALthough they are not a riding surface, they help with cornering.

I guess I'm looking for information on this subject. I am reading from the IMPBA rule book for Sport Hydroplanes (I-5). Now under purpose it lists as intent "...to duplicate the full size Limited Inboard, Unlimited Light and Unlimited hydroplanes as closely as possible." Yet in the next section it restricts the rear use of "shoes, pads or wedges." Scale but not too scale? I understand it should not run on rear shoes, this would class as a rigger. Most of the newer unlimiteds all have some sort of rear shoe. ALthough they are not a riding surface, they help with cornering.
What are you building? If your building a 1/8 SCALE and the real boat had shoes your ok,if your doing a sport40,sport 20 no shoes

Section I-5 is hte Large Scale Gas Sport hydro class. The LSG sport hydro specification is different than either 1/8th scale, Sport 40, or sport 20. LSG sport hydro can be a Canard, while SP40 and SP20 specifically rule out Canards. Since it specifically lists no shoes, then shoes are probably out; even if the boat you are copying has them. I think the intent of the sportsman hydro classes was to have a scale appearing boat, without being a scale copy of an original hull. Hence the requirement for a cockpit and a sponsor/logo/number. Heck, the sponsor can even be ficticious.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Section I-5 is hte Large Scale Gas Sport hydro class. The LSG sport hydro specification is different than either 1/8th scale, Sport 40, or sport 20. LSG sport hydro can be a Canard, while SP40 and SP20 specifically rule out Canards.
I have never agreed with this either. The canard does not belong with the gas sport hydros, it bastardizes that class. They wanted separate gas classes bacause the catamaran guys didn't want to race against the riggers but seems nobody thought about the canards until the last minute. So someone came up with the "bright idea" to create an option to vote them into the gas sport hydro class. The cat guys didn't want them and had the votes to keep them out of the cat class & stuff them in the GSH class. If anything they belong in the rigger class but the rigger people didn't want that either.... <_<

As for the no rear shoes in the gas sport class I don't understand that as well. Here in one shot you've alienated potential new boaters in those who bought the ProBoat Bud/LLumar gas hydro. A potential newbie shows up with one of these & you get to tell him there is no class for him to run at all. It's not a cat, not a rigger, but it is a gas sport hydro because it falls under "to duplicate the full size Limited Inboard, Unlimited Light and Unlimited hydroplanes as closely as possible" yet by not allowing the rear pads it is illegal. Any decent running GSH will smoke one of these ProBoats but WHY turn away a potential new boater who just spent alot of cash to try this hobby.... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the LSG guys could vote to ammend the the rule to allow the RTR Proboat hulls if they come from the manufacturer that way. But then again I don't run LSG, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

I guess the LSG guys could vote to ammend the the rule to allow the RTR Proboat hulls if they come from the manufacturer that way. But then again I don't run LSG, so I don't have a dog in the fight.
That idea was tried & shot down before it ever got anywhere. Some of their "logic" was manufacturers should build to our rules. Yeah right, get a clue, the manufacturer is going to build what will sell & as bad an azz dragger as the ProBoat is it needs those rear pads just to launch & get sort of on plane. :blink:

That idea was tried & shot down before it ever got anywhere. Some of their "logic" was manufacturers should build to our rules. Yeah right, get a clue, the manufacturer is going to build what will sell & as bad an azz dragger as the ProBoat is it needs those rear pads just to launch & get sort of on plane. :blink:

The Gas Sport Hydro class is not a "Scale Hydro" class. I think you guys are missing the most important wording in the Gas Sport Hydro rules, ie. "The hull must be a Three (3) Point Suspension hydroplane (IMPBA Technical Standards, Hulls Classification, 3-Point Suspension Hull)". How many 3-point hulls have you seen with rear sponsons, shoes, wedges??? Some of the 3-point model hulls ran better with a wedge under the rear and it was causing a lot of flap as to what was a legal hull. The new wording solves the problem.

It was voted on and the majority voted to allow the Canard. End of story.

Several times we have tried to get the sport boaters that run boats such as the WHH & Proboat hulls involved in competition racing only to find that most of them do not want to join a national organization or participate in any organized events. They only want to play with their toys. About two trips to the local pond with the competition hulls blowing them away usually stops their interest in competition racing.

I think the mfg. should be aware of the IMPBA & NAMBA rules if they want to sell to the racing crowd. What's wrong with their boats having to meet our requirement just as the Insane, Seaducer, Aeromarine, and others that are popular racing hulls??

A lot of guys ***** about all the rules we have but when you enter into a competitive sport, you have to have rules. Without a set of rules you would never know if your boat was legal at the"local" pond. A weekend trip to a two day race will cost about $500 in travel expense alone plus the cost of the equipment. Why spend the money unless you know your boat will have a fair chance per the national rules.

KISS Read the rules before you buy or design a boat. KISS

BTW, if you don't like the present rules, put in a proposal to change them. When you do you will find that you have entered a whole new world of BS and red tape.

Rip Holdridge

Thanks Don I guess I was just looking to see if I was the one of a few which feel the same way about the scale look alike wording....

Back