sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave roach

Vendor
I'am looking for a good fuel tank set up for a Phil Thomas sport 40. Tank size and the placement of the tanks.

Thanks Dave Roach

I'am looking for a good fuel tank set up for a Phil Thomas sport 40. Tank size and the placement of the tanks.

Thanks Dave Roach
Dave i have a 12 ounch tank in the right side pushed up under the deck to the motor mount and a 2 ounch tank glued right behind the right motor mount. My picco is thirdty and i use almost all the fuel. If you need any more help or setup tips let me know. Mikey

As Mike says, for a front radio box set up, would work well.

Actually, I have a 16oz tank up to the right of the engine, under the deck, with a 1oz hopper under the carb.

If you are setting up a rear radio box, I have the rear box, and the front mount metal tank if you are interested, let me know.

Rick Bellinger

Dave, you may get a few opinions, make a decision based on good ideas and what makes sense to you. I really believe in the front radio box setup for all of my boats, scale and sport 40.

I like the idea of not having shifting weight distribution during the race. Think about it. A front tank setup will get light at the end of the race and be more prone to blowover.

Fuel under the deck and On the CG is much smarter.

There is a disadvantage, though...you have to get a hopper tank in there somewhere.

Also I always run my larger fuel tank on the outside sponson. Again think about what happens in a corner: the outside sponson tries to lift on many boats. Putting the fuel weight on that side helps keep it down.

If you do this, use brass tubing that is one size larger than the piece that comes with the tanks. Cuts down on resistance. Motor doesn't have to draw as hard.

Brian

Just got a side tank from Walt Barney for my pt sport 40, real nice fit and stainless. ph#256-779-6472

I think you described it backwards, the inside sponson tries to lift in the corner, hence the hook or cant on the turn fin on the right sponson. On the straightaway, the prop torque lifts the outside sponson.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you described it backwards, the inside sponson tries to lift in the corner, hence the hook or cant on the turn fin on the right sponson. On the straightaway, the prop torque lifts the outside sponson.
I didn't describe it backwards at all. Without a turn fin you are correct. But the fins now hold the inside down VERY well. The trouble now is the outside sponson. Look at pics of the unlimiteds... some of them have lexan air dams and the Bud used to have a little winglet sticking up from the front of the sponson. These were all efforts to get the outside to stay down. From what I was told, Dave Villwock rebalanced the hull and fixed that flaw as one of the first things he did at Bud.

If you look at the outer edge of a sponson from about a 30 degree angle from straight ahead and imagine the air hitting that sponson as you start a turn, there is a lot more air hitting the underside of the sponson and trying to lift it off the water. The deck above has little air resistance. Hence the lexan and winglet to compensate. My solution is to weight to that side a little more. I have also run that lexan piece on my sport 40 for years. Just on the outside sponson.

Works for me.

Brian

This may sound silly to some , but here is my logic, this is for a front mount radio box, On a Phil Thomas hull, I mount a 12oz Sullivan rectangle plastic tank on the inside on the right side the boat standing on its side using rubber bands to hold it in place , the leading edge of the tank is 1- 1/4 inch behind the motor mount, then I have mounted a 2oz. hopper tank under the deck on the right. the center of the small tank is inline with the leading edge of the large tank, are you still with me? ok , now here is where my logic comes in to play :blink: 2/3rds of the large tank is behind the balance point of the hull, as the race starts and you began to use up the fuel in the large tank the balance point starts to move forward, remember 12oz. is a lot of weight in a sport 40, so after removing almost 12oz. from behind the balance point, you have moved the balance point forward as the boat gets lighter, lessining the chance of blowover, you are now racing harder toward the end of the race, and many boaters are trying to keep thier boat from blowing off toward the end of a race, now reason for mounting the tank on the inside of the boat is to keep everything closer to the center of gravity. now this setup may not work on some boats that use a fat pipe but I use a Mac nitro pipe with a ad on muff. clearance may be a problem on some, but not with this setup. Silly aren't I :p :p

yes Don, just haven't seen them for a PT Sport 40. Too cool.

Chuck... I love the logic. I think everything you do should have a reason behind it. Yours is very good.

That is the difference behind a good performance and a great one. Use everything to your advantage that you can.

Brian

Brian I will have that piece of lexan on my left sponson for next year. yeah a new trick!! chuck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back