Sport 40 turn fin bracket

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

I need to make my Sport 40 turn fin bracket today. I have both .125" and .187" Structural aluminum angle. Do you think the .187 is overkill?

hey ray

not sure on bracket size would tell you if i knew but i'm new to hydros been in rc boats for 24 years and i'm refinishing my first hydro an old steve muck i think from the late 80's. let me know how it goes and what you use i might be getting a turn fin from mike hughes and i'll have to make a bracket my self so keep us up to date i'll start post pics of mine soon as i go. good luck!

hey ray not sure on bracket size would tell you if i knew but i'm new to hydros been in rc boats for 24 years and i'm refinishing my first hydro an old steve muck i think from the late 80's. let me know how it goes and what you use i might be getting a turn fin from mike hughes and i'll have to make a bracket my self so keep us up to date i'll start post pics of mine soon as i go. good luck!
Id use 1/4 jus measured a Tyndall to be sure and its 1/4

I need to make my Sport 40 turn fin bracket today. I have both .125" and .187" Structural aluminum angle. Do you think the .187 is overkill?
Ray, If you are going to use structural aluminum I would suggest you use nothing less than 1/4" thick aluminum. This is an item that you want absolutley NO FLEX in when the boat is running. All of the brackets that I have made are made from 6061 barstock aluminum, which is a bit stronger than the structural aluminum. Also, don't use the aluminum angle unless it has a nice radius in the bottom of the angle..............something else that makes it stronger. Just my opinion............

I am still unable to make turn fins right now, but my arm is getting better. Maybe by the end of this year I'll be able to file, sand and buff again! Thanks to all who have contacted me with their support.

Dick Tyndall

The 3/16 should be fine use the radiused angle if you have it.

The turn fin alignment should be checked.

Parallell with the running pads, straight or just a little tweak in at the back of the fin.

PHIL

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 3/16 and add a 1/4 turn buckle at the back end of it so I can adjust it in and out. It helps to stiffen the fin so there is zero flex. I have found the over time the angle tends to dig into the back of the sponson transom because of the small foot print. I use a 4/40 rod that goes into the engine well rail. Zero failures. Here is a link to a shot of my sp40.

Mike

Latest posts

Back