Sport 40 Rudder Placement

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm building one now and I am going with the right side for rudder placement (I'm building for FE power btw...)

-Kent

Ken, what you need to remember is that the location you use will affect what the boat does when turning the boat. I prefer to mount mine on the left as that makes the servo pull the rudder rather than push while others prefer the right side for other reasons. Both sides have their own side affects on the hull, others can fill in the blanks on that one

Mike L. actually switched the framing member with the servo mounting hole from the left side (Version 1) to the right side (V2) and said that mounting the rudder on the right side had no ill effect during testing...either way on this Sport 40 will work. I do like the idea of pull vs. push for the rudder...just going with the right side...

-Kent

Guys,

My GP-400 Hull is set-up with the rudder on the right and I'm running nitro. The rudder on the right helps keeps from carrying the left sponson from the prop torque. Mine's been that way since Mr. Finch suggested to Mike L. to move the rudder to the right on the electric proto-type.

Enjoy the building guys. Post some pictures sometime.

Bert Dygert

GEDC0013.jpg

My GP400 nitro boat built by Keith Thompson has the rudder mounted on the left side of the transom. So far the boat runs and corners great. Guess it depends on one's preference............Turn fin list is about a 6 to 8 weeks back up right now if anyone is curious.

Dick Tyndall

A question for everyone, why exactly does everyone put the rudder on the left? I am building 2 Sport 40's and a sport 20, I have seen that it can be done on left/right. What is the advantage other than what has been referenced in this post. Any help would be great.

Beau

Not sure Beau...I would think that having it on the same side that the turn fin is on would be ideal ...inline might be even better but that's not happening...you would think that if the rudder is on the left it would disturb what the fin is doing on the right in a turn...???

-Kent

Just my.02 cents Beau but the sport, scale and gas thunder boats I've had were about 50/50. Think I put the rudder on the left(port side) of my sport 40 cause it was recommended in Phil Thomas's set up sheet. I try to keep the rudder out of the wash created by the fin and prop and as close to the center line as I can. Hope this makes sense. On the faster boats they ALL try lifting the left sponson near the end of the straights(even @ 4300 Ft. above sea level in UT). That is just prop torque. I'm sure you will get more opinions so take this one with a grain of salt- or just go with what the maker of the hull says.

Back