Sport 40 legality Question ..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys,

I am building a sport 40 and was wondering if this would be legal in IMPBA and NAMBA.

I read where the pipe may have to be hidden ?

My pipe is exposed as the turbine cowl it came with had damage and i cut the damage off and was going to re-use the front half and fill the back half of the boat with ply .I have already constructed the rear portion from ply and wooden framing.

It's gonna look cool but will it be legal ??I copied an idea I saw here on a boat that was for sale.

Terry

Best thing to do is check with your district maybe legal one place and not another. Robert

If you plan on running the pipe out the cowl and over the ply, than it will not be legal in NAMBA. I believe it would be fine in IMPBA.

Mike

Based on my understanding of the differences in the Sport 40 rules of the two organizations, I agree with Mike. NAMBA has a specific rule requiring that tuned pipes be covered:

"There will be no exposed tuned pipes allowed. Tuned pipes will be covered by a deck, a cowl, or an exhaust shroud. That portion of a tuned pipe which is confined to the engine compartment will be exempt."

IMPBA has no such rule in their Sport 40 class.

Based on my understanding of the differences in the Sport 40 rules of the two organizations, I agree with Mike. NAMBA has a specific rule requiring that tuned pipes be covered:"There will be no exposed tuned pipes allowed. Tuned pipes will be covered by a deck, a cowl, or an exhaust shroud. That portion of a tuned pipe which is confined to the engine compartment will be exempt."

IMPBA has no such rule in their Sport 40 class.
The boat i just sold had a transom exhaust making it legal for both orgs. Namba has some good ideas on items we IMPBA care less about. I hidden pipe has to be quieter and make the boat more real looking. my 2 cents

I would like to run it in either...ya never know where i might end up running.What do they run at teh norther nats namba or impba

Guys,
I am building a sport 40 and was wondering if this would be legal in IMPBA and NAMBA.

I read where the pipe may have to be hidden ?

My pipe is exposed as the turbine cowl it came with had damage and i cut the damage off and was going to re-use the front half and fill the back half of the boat with ply .I have already constructed the rear portion from ply and wooden framing.

It's gonna look cool but will it be legal ??I copied an idea I saw here on a boat that was for sale.

Terry
Hey Terry, Even though in NAMBA the rule is to cover the pipe entirely, i can honestly say that in Dist 3, ive seen PLENTY of boats race with the pipes partly exposed for a number of years... Ive never really seen any real logic with that rule...after all these are sport hydros, not scale boats...you might want to check with your local club to see if its okay. have a MERRY CHRISTMAS! Bill

Bill i run sport40 in district3 we have to have the pipe fully inclosed Robert
Hi Robert, I know that alot of sport boats run with the pipe fully enclosed, I have a sport 40 with the pipe fully covered.... I also have one with part of the pipe exposed out the back and ive never had anyone say anything about it either way...maybe it comes down to the clubs choice...I dont know how old that rule is but like i said, ive seen other sport class hulls run with a little bit of the pipe past the rear of the cowl. As lean as some of the classes are getting in sport hydro, it would be a shame to keep someone from racing thier boat because of a coupla inches of pipe coming out past the rear of the cowl. i do understand that rules are rules and i dont mean to sound disrepectful at all, but ive never really understood that rule at all as these are sport hydros, not scale boats, and there are still a few scale boats out there that have an inch or two of pipe hanging out past the rear of the cowl. Thanks! Bill

Terry,

You may want to take a close look at the bottom of the boat. Looks like a Phil Thomas hull. If it is and it's more than a year old, it will need to be modified to be legal in NAMBA.

Dennis

I think what they are getting at is the main part of the pipe be enclosed the end can stick out or the stinger, main thing is the biggest part is enclosed. Robert

I think what they are getting at is the main part of the pipe be enclosed the end can stick out or the stinger, main thing is the biggest part is enclosed. Robert
Robert, Now that makes perfect sense to me! That really makes a big difference as far as interpretation of the rule goes...Thanks again, Bill

Terry,
You may want to take a close look at the bottom of the boat. Looks like a Phil Thomas hull. If it is and it's more than a year old, it will need to be modified to be legal in NAMBA.

Dennis
okay.... i thought that it was decided to allow that boat to be NAMBA legal without the mods....i guess i just cant keep up! HELP!

Terry,

Dennis
okay.... i thought that it was decided to allow that boat to be NAMBA legal without the mods....i guess i just cant keep up! HELP!

Bill,

I was not aware of any decision to allow Phil's boat to run in NAMBA without the mod. If that's the case then forget I mentioned it.

Thanks,

Dennis

Terry,

Dennis

Bill,

I was not aware of any decision to allow Phil's boat to run in NAMBA without the mod. If that's the case then forget I mentioned it.

Thanks,

Dennis
Yea, I am pretty sure that was voted out of the NAMBA rules. Not much effect on the performance with deeper belly pan.

But it really did run better after the mods so I re did the bottom mold in January 08. There are several out there modded and all the boats built in 2008 have the new low lift bottom.

The 07 and earlier boats will do just as well but have a bit more lift. The new bottom allows a flatter strut angle which allows the boat to run looser with out blow off.

PHIL T

Here is what id did so it should be good to go in namba for the tunnel issue anyway ;)

I also removed the cunards(wings) and filled the holes.This one will get finished this winter For sure...lol...

Looks like ai may need a new cowl ?

Phil,by voted out you mean the pipe can be exposed like the one on you website on the sport 40, the stealth cowl with the pipe out the back.

I will stick the pipe in it and take a pick of what it will look like finished.

I would think the trouble some clubs are having keeping nitro alive that the old stupid rules would be updated.C"mon what would be the difference this would make.

Terry

Phil,by voted out you mean the pipe can be exposed like the one on you website on the sport 40, the stealth cowl with the pipe out the back.I will stick the pipe in it and take a pick of what it will look like finished.

I would think the trouble some clubs are having keeping nitro alive that the old stupid rules would be updated.C"mon what would be the difference this would make.

Terry
No they were talking about the belly pan depth. The tunned pipe covered is a Namba rule.

Back