Sport 40 canoe availability?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.R.Joye

Anyone out there making decent Sport 40 canoes in F/Glass? I want to do my own cowl & center section for a low budget build.

My advice would be to buy one of the complete boats. A Mutt or whatever. These people have put more time into these boats than most can imagine. They have done all the hard work. The extra that you pay is a small part compared to the time spent. Too start something using part of someones hard work usually doesn't go over to well. Greg

That's a cool site. I would love to build an 1/8 scale at least partially out of the G-10. What thickness would you use for say the transom, bulk heads, sponson transoms, engine well and sponson insides, decks, etc...? Could maybe just do the transoms out of 1/4 ply I guess. Could you possibly even heat it and vaccuum form it over a form? Just curious. You got me thinking. I do of course need to finish my projects at hand, but surely will get into something else later this year.

Rich

As an alternative, for about $85 you can buy a Dumas Eagle kit.
Piper, I built a Dumas Eagle once. It was my first kit. I have to say it wasn't a BAD running boat but I built it like a tank. That's the problem, if you build it like they suggest, the boat will weigh 14 pounds. Not that mine weighed that much but it was heavy for a sport 40. There are some things you definitely could do to make it lighter and better though. Yeah, for 85.00 it would be a great beginner project. But then again, if you can get ahold of a whiplash, for not much more, you've got a kick ass boat when you're done. The PT, A/C, Mutt, Whiplash are all excellent boats and the designers did spend countless hours getting them to where they are today. I know for a fact that it took Brian Blazer years to get the Whip where he wanted it. So I can understand what they are saying about using other's designs. But if someone is willing to sell them to you, then more power to you. Some of the guys in RCU were getting Jones canoes from Ron Jones. They were originally produced for models to put into the wind tunnel for testing. This was a few years ago and I don't think they are still around but I could be wrong. Doug Shepherd, who is on this board, has had them in the past for 1/8 scale. He does some awesome fiberglass work. Again, this may have been a couple he had laying around, but I believe they were sold to someone on here.

Rich

As an alternative, for about $85 you can buy a Dumas Eagle kit.
Piper, I built a Dumas Eagle once. It was my first kit. I have to say it wasn't a BAD running boat but I built it like a tank. That's the problem, if you build it like they suggest, the boat will weigh 14 pounds. Not that mine weighed that much but it was heavy for a sport 40. There are some things you definitely could do to make it lighter and better though. Yeah, for 85.00 it would be a great beginner project. But then again, if you can get ahold of a whiplash, for not much more, you've got a kick ass boat when you're done. The PT, A/C, Mutt, Whiplash are all excellent boats and the designers did spend countless hours getting them to where they are today. I know for a fact that it took Brian Blazer years to get the Whip where he wanted it. So I can understand what they are saying about using other's designs. But if someone is willing to sell them to you, then more power to you. Some of the guys in RCU were getting Jones canoes from Ron Jones. They were originally produced for models to put into the wind tunnel for testing. This was a few years ago and I don't think they are still around but I could be wrong. Doug Shepherd, who is on this board, has had them in the past for 1/8 scale. He does some awesome fiberglass work. Again, this may have been a couple he had laying around, but I believe they were sold to someone on here.

Rich
I do make them for 1/8 scales but not for sport-40's. Thanks Doug

I got a reply from Mark Anderson regarding some Mutt canoes looking forward to him responding back to my questions and sending a Pic. I've built quite a few FE 8th scales kits and glass hulls and have had good success racing them. I've herd of the Mutt SP40 but never have seen one. Very Interested!

Regarding G10, my last build(currently doing finish paint) was a 8th Scale 77 Atlas(heavily modified Dumas 82 kit) skinned with .046 G10. The mat'l is super strong has excellent uniform surface finish for painting/bonding requires very little prep. I also use the same .046 for laminating (1/8 liteply)bulkheads, motor mounts etc (Ref http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/ph...ery.php?cat=553 ).

Bonding G10 is easy just lightly sand surfaces to be bonded and use Permatex Plastic Epoxy adhesive comes in a equal mix twin tube appllicator (Stinks real bad) or use thickened Epoxy/Glass resin. So im planning to use G10 again for a FE Sport 40 build. Looking for forward to a smaller project than the Scales & Open Class boats ive been doing.

KRJoye

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to my Mutt2 wood/glass boat. It has glass canoes and wooden center section. The canoes have wood sheet decks. There are also some shots of the all glass Mutt2 in my galleries. This will give a good idea of what they look like. As the glass boat was modeled of the wood/glass. All in all you can not go wrong with a set of these canoes. I love my Mutt boats.

Mike

Thanks Mike i like the pics already working on the details with Mark. BTW what `tunnel width' and distance from `sponson tip to start of tunnel' for the Mutt II did you use or recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
MARK ANDERSON please check your PM box

Thanks Mike i like the pics already working on the details with Mark. BTW what `tunnel width' and distance from `sponson tip to start of tunnel' for the Mutt II did you use or recommend.

I you want to contact Mark do NOT count on PM. Send him an email. He is very busy and rarely checks his PM or this board.

My advice would be to buy one of the complete boats. A Mutt or whatever. These people have put more time into these boats than most can imagine. They have done all the hard work. The extra that you pay is a small part compared to the time spent. Too start something using part of someones hard work usually doesn't go over to well. Greg
I find it interesting Greg that you left out the part that you built a boat using Mark Anderson canoes, which is exactly what you are telling this guy not to do. Are you saying now that you would do things different if you had it to do over again? I have built both a hybrid boat and one of the all glass Mutt IIs. Building a hybrid allows you the flexibility of making it look the way you want it to and yet still have the ride of a proved sponson design. That being said I prefer the all glass version as I feel that it last longer with the way I race them.

Hey guys thanks again for the info, Mark going to lay up some Mutt II SP40 canoes for me. I'm looking forward to the build for FE. I'll post some pics and post setup & results when shes done. My goal is a budget FE boat that will hold its own in SP40 competition. Maybe drag a few of you `Fuel Guys' over to the other side. LOL ;)

Latest posts

Back