Sport 20 Rudder Servos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydro Junkie

Being someone that normally runs Sport 40 and scale boats, this is one I figured I'd better ask about. What do you use for the rudder in your sport 20 hydros? I doubt I'll need the power of a Futaba S3305 to turn my boats using Speedmaster hardware like my larger boats, but at the same time, would a S148 be enough with it's 45 to 50 inoz of torque? TIA

I would not use less than a Hitec 645 or a futaba 3305. You will end up replacing the cheaper servo's anyway and in the end it will amount to the same. The new sport boats with todays higher powered engines will put alot of strain on a servo so why cheap out and sacrifice reliability. Myself, I use the Hitec 985MG whenever possible but an MG645 is no slouch either. The 985 is rated at 144oz.in. at 4.8v while the 645 is at 107 or so.....The 645 would be a lower cost good all around servo for a sport 20. $36 at tower for 107 oz.in.

MG645

Last edited by a moderator:
Being someone that normally runs Sport 40 and scale boats, this is one I figured I'd better ask about. What do you use for the rudder in your sport 20 hydros? I doubt I'll need the power of a Futaba S3305 to turn my boats using Speedmaster hardware like my larger boats, but at the same time, would a S148 be enough with it's 45 to 50 inoz of torque? TIA
This is more than enough servo for the task http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN667&P=0

And this would be a better quality alternative http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH291&P=0

i use the futaba s3305.. never had a issue.. don't skimp on servo's it AIN'T worth it

the only thing cheap servo's are good for it putting the boat on the beach.

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
For me.. the 148 is fine.. truth is I do and have used them in my sport 40 too.. Sport boats are just not as demanding on the servo as a outrigger can be..

BUT.. the Futaba S-3305 is such a great value its realy about the best choice for any sport or scale hydro.

Grim

Yes, the 148 or any other standard servo has the power but reliability is key for me. There is a reason those servos are $10-$14. They are not made up to the standard of the better quality (more expensive) servos. If your just a sport boater out at the lake, your fine. But when your whole racing season comes down to 1 heat and a servo stops working or skips a gear....you will not make that mistake again. Its all part of the hobby and is supposed to be fun so it all comes down to personal preference. To be honest, you can probably find standard servos in a grab box at a hobby shop for $5 and go on and on, year after year and never have a problem, but when you need it most, ya just never know......I've seen guys change servos like glow plugs....been there done that.....

:lol:

I've seen the "glow plug" servo routine myself, never could figure that one out as to why the guy ran a servo that just couldn't handle the load without needing a rebuild after every heat. From what I'm reading from everyone, it sounds like I need to look at the S3305 and maybe the 3010. It also sounds like I need to stop by the LHS and check on props. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a 440/2, 440/3, 442/2 and 442/3 to go along with my Prather 220, 225 and 230 :)

Im kinda there with both Grim and Duck in that ive had really good luck with good ol S148 servos in everything from Sport Hydros to 20 Monos, and also have used 3305's with good results in my scale boat....im a bit of a cheapass, but do believe that you get what you pay for.....im even runnin a mini servo for rudder control in my sport 20 to save room, and it too, seems to work fine....dont remember what model number the mini sero is....

A 148 for a rudder? For some reason that seems too small. If I remember right, I used a pair of S17's in my first Pak build back in 1982. Unfortunately, I never got fast enough to really test it to see if that was a big enough servo. Worse still, I wasn't only dealing with the "rookie blues", I had to deal with one instance of brain fade where I forgot to change the batteries to my reciever, resulting in a wrecked boat. Can we say "oops"?

A 148 for a rudder? For some reason that seems too small. If I remember right, I used a pair of S17's in my first Pak build back in 1982. Unfortunately, I never got fast enough to really test it to see if that was a big enough servo. Worse still, I wasn't only dealing with the "rookie blues", I had to deal with one instance of brain fade where I forgot to change the batteries to my reciever, resulting in a wrecked boat. Can we say "oops"?
HJ, i just looked in my 30 year old 20 Pak and sure enough, my rudder servo is an S-48(remember the Futaba G series stuff?)....still works! Im sure in the long run if you have the money to use a stronger servo with better gears, go for it, but the cheap stuff will work...i also think alot has to do with how much the servo is "abused"...hitting stuff, running the boat aground, etc. Ive still gota few S-14's and S-20's that still work just fine....those were the days! :)

I still have most of my old G stuff as well. Come to think about it, I even still have my first radio set on the old Blue/White channel. Unfortunately, it's all illegal or outdated at this point so.....................

Latest posts

Back