Sport .12 hydro class

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Olson

I was just reading through the September Roostertail and saw a proposal from Glenn Quarles about creating a Sport .12 (A) class.

The question is could this be the class to get the use of .12's going? Could it be an alternative for the RTR hydro's that might want to drop down from a .15 or .18?

Unfortunately the "A" mono and outrigger classes haven't taken off like some of would have like to have seen.

Is it time for me to build another .12 nitro boat?

Some hulls are already out there, either a RTR boat or some that were made for FE's that can easily be converted.

Glenn, you know that I've got your back on this as I love running my .12 boats. They're a lot more fun than what we should be allowed to have for the size and price. Let me know if I've found this winter's boat project!

I made a couple from Findlay FE design. Actually ran very well... Wish I still had it..

Ran "A" hydro at INDY this last weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't get the thing launched for a single heat.. Found a blockage in my pipe pressure last night... SUCK!

I was just reading through the September Roostertail and saw a proposal from Glenn Quarles about creating a Sport .12 (A) class.The question is could this be the class to get the use of .12's going? Could it be an alternative for the RTR hydro's that might want to drop down from a .15 or .18?

Unfortunately the "A" mono and outrigger classes haven't taken off like some of would have like to have seen.

Some hulls are already out there, either a RTR boat or some that were made for FE's that can easily be converted.

Glenn, you know that I've got your back on this as I love running my .12 boats. They're a lot more fun than what we should be allowed to have for the size and price. Let me know if I've found this winter's boat project!

The interesting about smaller boats is they can race on smaller ponds than the bigger, faster boats. They also should, with some self discipline, make less noise than larger boats. Defining a smaller course on a smaller pond might open up additional racing sites. In addition to the hull that Ron posted, I recall some plans from Dave Frank and Gary Finlay that are in the right size range. In fact, I think I have a couple of them, along with laser cut balsa parts (which I could use as templates) for the framework. I'll have to go check in the shop to see which ones they are...

One of the best parts of this hobby is building boats, testing and modding motors. We all would love to put 90's in 1/8 scale and run what we want, but IMHO there are too many classes already. Where does it end. It's tough doing 4 rounds in two days now. Promote the RTR for the newbies. ;) Let the beating begin!!!! Flack jacket on. B) B)

Marty.

I think its a Darkhorse by Brian Buaas. Not sure he is making them anymore but if ya tug on his left ear and rub his belly ya never know what he might do.. Brian is a member of the board here.

Grim

I know what I'd do if some guy started pulling my ear and rubbing my belly!!! :angry: :p :lol:

Yes it is a Dark Horse by Brian. he called me the other day and is going to start producing them again. He also has a new design out (same size) with a pickle fork and says they run even better.

Glenn

I'd love to see the .12 boats take off.

OK, now for a little hijacking ;)

I'm building the Darkhorse round noses again. It's the boat in my avatar as well as Glenn's article. This hull currently holds 8 NAMBA/IMPBA FE records. Glenn tells me it's quite a beast with the .12 nitro engine in it as well. There are few guys who have orders in right now.

Here's a picture of the new picklefork that I'm just starting to produce. I ran it at the NAMBA FE Nats in June and it is every bit as fast as the shovel, maybe faster. It's a bit more picky on setup.

I'm actually reworking the bottom of my 26" mono as well.

All my hulls are epoxyglass.

No belly rubbing PLEASE!!!

Just send me a note if you're interested.

Now back to you previously hijacked thread :D

Hay Brian where can we get more info on the Darkhorsewill leave the belly rubbing out of it :eek: then if you prefer

thank you

Marty
im intrested as well if marty is, i need something efficent to run beside my 12 riggers.. and something else to let the "old man" whip me at..lol

terry

Hay Brian where can we get more info on the Darkhorsewill leave the belly rubbing out of it :eek: then if you prefer

thank you

Marty
im intrested as well if marty is, i need something efficent to run beside my 12 riggers.. and something else to let the "old man" whip me at..lol

terry

You guys will love the little shovel nose! Mine is one of the best driving boats I've ever had and it is pretty dang fast! I've never had it on a real size pond and I've never pointed a radar gun at it, but I will ASAP.

I am sending mine to Brian to play with a bit and to see how I set up the rails, etc. I will be happy to give any advice I can if you guys get one.

Glenn

Kind of back on track,

I would love to see any 12 class take off. I think they are pack a lot of fun for the size and price. I have ran my HH12 at some areas and have been told they never even heard it until they came over the hill or from behind the trees. :D

I was just reading through the September Roostertail and saw a proposal from Glenn Quarles about creating a Sport .12 (A) class.The question is could this be the class to get the use of .12's going? Could it be an alternative for the RTR hydro's that might want to drop down from a .15 or .18?

If you read the first line its an idea not a proposal big difference. With so many RTR boats the 18 class is gaining steam i dont think the 12 will build as fast as its easier to just go get a Pro Boat or Aqua Craft and run ..........

Marty/Terry,

I'm working on a web site. Here are the specs for the two sport hydros.

Shovel Nose:

L-25 1/8"

W-11 1/2"

T-6 1/2"

AP- 13 1/2"

Pickle Fork:

L-24 7/8"

W-13 3/4"

T-6 1/2"

AP-14 1/4"

I'll be happy to email pictures. Send a note to [email protected]

The money went out in the mail yesterday (I'm still old-school there) for a hull.

Stupid but probably an obvious question but if it does become an IMPBA class, will it be eligible for the SAW and oval records? This is really dumb as the guy proposing the class is the Records Director.

The money went out in the mail yesterday (I'm still old-school there) for a hull.Stupid but probably an obvious question but if it does become an IMPBA class, will it be eligible for the SAW and oval records? This is really dumb as the guy proposing the class is the Records Director.
Ron, yes it would be a record class.

Which boat are you getting?

Glenn

Back