Some rule clarification needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi911

Hi Guys,

I got some advice to take this question here so some of you could maybe help clear something up for me.

I race IMPBA Fast Electric. We are running hull length limits next year.

I want to try running an adjustable air dam or deflector on the back of one of my sport hydros for an experiment. It would be similar to a trim tab and extend all the way across the transom. I have a couple of issues I need resolved with this little idea.

1. Is it a legal on a Sport Hydro under IMPBA rules. I have read the rule book and there is nothing specific about such a piece of hardware.

2. Since we run with length limits would the air dam be included in the length of the hull. The hull I want to try this on is right at the length max, and this air same would extend from the transom 1" or so.

I have attached a crude drawing of what I would like to do. This would be a bolt on peice of hardware. Not so concerned about "if" it would work or no ... I need to know if its legal before I spend time and $$$ on it.

air_dam.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What you show there is more like a trim tab a mono would use. I guess if it went all the way across to would not be bad.

Probally be just a waste of time, the weight of the hardware would overcome any lift it would generate, the tabs would not be near the water surface. You would get more lift from the prop and strut angle and proper balance point.

PHIL T

What you show there is more like a trim tab a mono would use. I guess if it went all the way across to would not be bad. Probally be just a waste of time, the weight of the hardware would overcome any lift it would generate, the tabs would not be near the water surface. You would get more lift from the prop and strut angle and proper balance point.

PHIL T
Thanks Phil ... so in you opinion it would be legal then? What about the tab being included in the overall length of the hull?

Latest posts

Back