Some Questions on CF

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Smith

Hey All,

I'm getting ready to add some carbon fibre to a wood 1/8th scale build. Its my first time using it. Had a couple questions?

1). Where is the best place to purchase cf?

2). Do you use standard resins on cf during layup (ie regular west systems ok?)

3). For scales, how many layers\thicknesses do you use in the sponsons, center of boat, anywhere else?

4). What type of weave, 1k plain ok?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,

cf is used mainly to increase strength in thin fiberglass. unless you're using extremely thin wood you shouldn't need much if any. personally I don't use any cf in my wood boats. if you do use some I'd keep it confined to the engine bay like Mike said. keep in mind that cf is light but resin is realitively heavy

Thanks guys. I'm using 1/8th inch ply skins on the bottom of the boat. I've seen a few folks use cf on the inside sponsons and center section. Perhaps they are using 1/16th or smaller ply for skins. Thx :)

I use 1/16 ply for all my skins and have never had a problem. If I need to reenforce an area, I laminate in a 1/8 ply doubler to the area, for example, around the strut for the brackets or engine mounts screwed through the bottom as I did with the Pak you saw. I've personally never seen a wood boat that needed a 1/8" thick bottom or CF added to strengthen it

Hey HJ,

Sorry. I misspoke. I'm actually using 1/16th inch on the bottoms as well. Not 1/8th. So no CF even on 1/16th?

You saw my Pak and Madison, no CF anywhere in the build. I have never seen or worked on a wood boat that needed CF or, for that matter, FG. I know there are some out there that will say without the added strength, the boat will fall apart after a run or two. I've never seen anything close to that happen to any wood hulled scale raced in R/C Unlimiteds or Unlimiteds NW

Last edited by a moderator:
Back