Smokin Joe's Paint colors

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris contact Don Ferrette on this forum he just built a sweet one and has all the paint info you need.
What year Joe's are you doing? We will need to know because the yellow was different from year to year.

Thanks Doug/DPS Racing hulls

I am painting my sport 40 for this season, so the year isn't important right now. Just need to know purple now, I found the yellow.

Thanks Guys

Chris
House of Kolor # PBC-40 Violette Pearl sprayed over Dark grey primer.

I am painting my sport 40 for this season, so the year isn't important right now. Just need to know purple now, I found the yellow.

Thanks Guys

Chris
HOK prefers a white or light base for the PBC-40 (page 13 of HOK tech/spec manual). PPG DP48LF white epoxy primer worked great for me. :)

Thanks Guys

Chris
HOK prefers a white or light base for the PBC-40 (page 13 of HOK tech/spec manual). PPG DP48LF white epoxy primer worked great for me. :)
Don is right in the tech manual from House of Kolors. But the way the PBC-40 was put down on the Joes is the way I was told by Jim. I was also at the shop were the Joe's was being repaired in Madison and this is the way the Purple was being applied. Not the right way, but sometimes things are tight and painting is one thing that costs.

Thanks Guys

Chris
Don is right in the tech manual from House of Kolors. But the way the PBC-40 was put down on the Joes is the way I was told by Jim. I was also at the shop were the Joe's was being repaired in Madison and this is the way the Purple was being applied. Not the right way, but sometimes things are tight and painting is one thing that costs.
Very true. I gave the spec reference since it's for a sport 40. I did do a test shoot with grey & white bases, you really can't see any noticeable difference. I'd bet the U-10 boys had gallons of grey already on hand since, like Doug said, this stuff ain't cheap. B)

Thanks for all the information Doug and Don. I love that I can get an answer to almost any question on this forum.

Chris
Glad to help Chris. Just be sure to wear at the minimum a good dual cartridge repirator like the 3M R6211, about $30 at Lowes or Home Depot. An even better choice is the 3M 68P71 full face respirator (about $100 at H/D or Lowes) as your eyes can still absorb chemicals. As an example ever wonder why your eyes burn when using CA? That is the point of entry for the airborne gases CA gives off when it kicks. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information Doug and Don. I love that I can get an answer to almost any question on this forum.

Chris
Glad to help Chris. Just be sure to wear at the minimum a good dual cartridge repirator like the 3M R6211, about $30 at Lowes or Home Depot. An even better choice is the 3M 68P71 full face respirator (about $100 at H/D or Lowes) as your eyes can still absorb chemicals. As an example ever wonder why your eyes burn when using CA? That is the point of entry for the airborne gases CA gives off when it kicks. :eek:
Thanks as well Chris , I have painted 3 Joe's hulls and it is a awesome looking hull when done right.

and Don's Hull looks right to me from pic (Great looking Scale Don). I would also like to thank Don for all the information he brings to the table as well.This is a place were time and money can be saved with the right answers! My this year bring good racing with bringing new and old friends closer together.

Doug

Just for the sake of asking what are the numbers for the yellow year doesn't matter as it's going on a out Rigger.Just needs to be bright.

Thanks Roy

Just for the sake of asking what are the numbers for the yellow year doesn't matter as it's going on a out Rigger.Just needs to be bright.

Thanks Roy
House of Kolor #NE-501 Yellow can be a very hard color to cover. I have found if you start with a white base and then put down a standard yellow to achieve yellow base. Then put down your neon base to get neon color.

Thanks Roy
House of Kolor #NE-501 Yellow can be a very hard color to cover. I have found if you start with a white base and then put down a standard yellow to achieve yellow base. Then put down your neon base to get neon color.
Tanks doug for the color numbers. Doug I got a sport 40 from you back in 2001 that was painted green and white sorta like mountain dew.What color was that green I might like to paint another boat that color.

Roy

Ex Indy model boat club member

Back