skinnin a scale boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
Time for another goofy question....im building a 73 paknpak...im using wood and foam, the foam being mostly in the sponson framework...what im wondering is because im filling the cavaties in the bottom of the sponsons with foam, can i get away with using 1/32 plywood on the sponson bottoms( because it is so much easier to form) or should i use the normal 1/16 inch ply? Any opinions or suggestions from you wood scale boat builders would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Time for another goofy question....im building a 73 paknpak...im using wood and foam, the foam being mostly in the sponson framework...what im wondering is because im filling the cavaties in the bottom of the sponsons with foam, can i get away with using 1/32 plywood on the sponson bottoms( because it is so much easier to form) or should i use the normal 1/16 inch ply? Any opinions or suggestions from you wood scale boat builders would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Think about it the sponson bottoms take more pounding than any other area except the turn fin and transom which are likely to be 1/4 before your done. 1/16 or 1/8 is what id use

Bill,

If you're having trouble bending 1/16 ply that must be some tough stuff. One way to soften ply (or any wood for that matter) that needs to bend is to wet it down. Rubber band or clamp in place until the water dries then your piece will be pre-bent.

A further tip if you're wetting the wood, only wet the out side of the bend wich will expand only the one side (it will essentially bend itself in the direction you want.

Windex is a really good wetting agent over straight water, it has ammonia in it and it will evaporate quicker and help minimize swelling the grain.

As Mikey says the sponson bottoms on a scale boat take all the beating. I normally use 1/8 inch for the bottoms or two 1/16 if the curve is severe. Lay one piece of 1/16 at a time and when set it will help eliminate some of the inherent stress associated with bending wood and relying on the perimeter glue joint.

hope this helps

Good luck,

Greg

My 1/10 Scale electrics all use the 1/32" ply. For a 1/8 Scale nitro boat, 1/32 is questionable. 1/16 ply will be fine. Make sure you fill any depressions in the foam before you skin. It will make for a real solid riding surface.

Once again, this is why i think so highly of IW and the folks on it.....even though ive been building wood boats a llooonngg time, there is always some one out there who is ALWAYS willing to share what maybe a better idea than mine, which is why i have no problem with asking even the most basic questions about boat building....Thanks guys!! Bill

Back