shortening rudders

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

i'm setting up a ss 45 and need to shorten the rudder . should it be flat on the bottom or round ? should it be 90 degrees to the back of the blade ?

Don't mean to hijack your thread wingnut, but on a similar note, is there any rule of thumbs about how far the bottom edge of the rudder blade should extend below the bottom blade of the prop?

I leave them flat, it's then a planing surface, creating lift in the transom

90 Deg to the back edge of the blade

I start with the blade about 1" deeper than the prop blade @ B.D.C.

Rick

i thoght i remember someone telling me that about it being a riding surface. thanks for the advice

Thanks guys, I'm actually using a straight blade for a mono, sorry, I know this is a hydro forum. Does the same 1" rule still apply.

To tell you the truth, I can't remember?

The last few MONO's I've built have beed Seaducers, and Jerry's instructions give you a specific place on the transom to mount the rudder, and then a specific amount to cut off the blade.

And I never took note as to were it ends up in relation to the prop.

Rick

ya mike the old rudder was in there. i asked mostly out of curiosity. the old blade has a little bitof and angle on the bottom. the front of the blade bottom is lower than the rear. i was curious of it's effects.

Latest posts

Back