servo concern

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi guys newbie here again. I have a 3PM MX 2.4G radio with a S9405 Futaba steering servo on my gas scale T6. The problem I'm having is in neutral position the rudder quivers and the servo moans. In neutral position the rudder is very easy to move by hand but then tightens up slightly past center left or right. The servo horn is placed perfectly center. After 1/2 hour on the bench trying to adjust parameters on the radio, I noticed the servo was quite hot. Is this a different problem or normal? thanks Norm

Norm, is the Tx set for PPM mode or HRS? HRS is for digital servos, and IF you have this set the 9405 will "buzz" around center and over heat also. The 9405 is NOT a digital servo. I would also say that servo is a bit light duty for this application also. If you are in PPM mode make sure you have very little drag on the linkage and alike. (Low drag is best with ANY servo.)

Paul

Geez I like this site. Always someone that can help. Thanks Paul. It was set on HRS. I switched it back and problem solved.

Yup this IS the place! Whenever you set a new model in the TX memory the default mode is HRS, so that is the first thing I change. Please note that in HRS mode and non-digital servos can be "burned out", Futaba servos can stand that abuse for some time, but some other brands will kill the servo pretty quick. Been there done that...

Paul

You also need to make sure you have a good battery. The only way to really test one is on a load tester like Futaba makes. You can have a battery that tests good voltage, but put a load on it and the voltage drops dramatically. Low voltage equals high amperage, high amperage equals heat, heat equals fried servo.

I'm probably an oddball, but I replace all my batteries and all my RX switches every year and send my transmitters and recievers back to Hobby Services to be checked out. I've yet to lose a boat from radio issues. When you look at the time and money we have in these scale boats it's money well spent for the piece of mind.

Hey guys me again....can vibration make a servo twitch? I ask because I had the boat running on the bench today and noticed that the rudder servo was twitching pretty bad. But it's steady when the engine is off. Any ideas??

thanks Norm

Hey guys me again....can vibration make a servo twitch? I ask because I had the boat running on the bench today and noticed that the rudder servo was twitching pretty bad. But it's steady when the engine is off. Any ideas??

thanks Norm

Norm, Try a different servo.

Latest posts

Back