Scale turn fins revisited

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SayMikey

Guys Id like some pics of scale turn fin setups. I have used Dick Tyndals and had a Mike Hughes fin. While on the west coast i saw some straight fins,looking for pics and ideas on this subject. Please post pics of what your using and how you feel its working. Lets all talk about his then move to props,pipes struts and the rest. Mike

Here is picture of my meat cleaver my gallery. IT isn't 100% scale and it isn't 100% flat , has a minor bent to it. I'm not sure who the manufacturer was.

I hope this will help.

Guys Id like some pics of scale turn fin setups. I have used Dick Tyndals and had a Mike Hughes fin. While on the west coast i saw some straight fins,looking for pics and ideas on this subject. Please post pics of what your using and how you feel its working. Lets all talk about his then move to props,pipes struts and the rest. Mike
Hey everyone, my name is John. I have raced Hydro's most of my life. Everything from .21 r/c when i was 12 years old all the way up to unlimiteds. I am back running a Velasco hull painted as the '78 circus. out of all my years of experience a straight blade skid fin with 8* to 10* front edge taper and 12* to 14* angle works best. Also note that the blade MUST be straight to the air trap. Single or double edge is up to you. I use single edge at 14* and 2" depth from bottom of sponson. Handles great and does not hydro-foil like a curved blade will.

Mike this is a fin I made for my velasko 1/8th scale, I used an old octura motor mount for the bracket, I am a cheap bugger LOL.... it works very well for me so far, I hogged out the mount, she is mounted nearly straight but the blade does have a bend in her..

octura5.jpg

octura4.jpg

octura3.jpg

octura2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it took so long to reply to this , i have only room for 1 of my 1/8 scale to be on the work bench at a tme , and currently my atlas is hoging the bench . I hope to switch the boats around this week and start on the getting the 7-11 ready for 08. I will try to enclose a picture of how i measured it. Also i might add that this boat is by no means dialed in. She turns very well, its the straightaway flips that i have to work on.

Tom

Also i might add that this boat is by no means dialed in. She turns very well, its the straightaway flips that i have to work on.Tom
Grab your knees and tuck your head more- it helps with the rotation- LOL- :lol:

Sorry Tom, couldnt resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the difference or reasons for running a curved turn fin vs. the straight turnfins slightly canted in? Any and all responses to this will be welcomed.

Cliff

what is the difference or reasons for running a curved turn fin vs. the straight turnfins slightly canted in? Any and all responses to this will be welcomed.
Cliff

I liked the curve fin, and actually have been adding almost a double curve (like a j) I think this also helps keep the sponson planted in race water, the extra curve keeps the sponson from popping up and out easily, this is just my opinion...

Cliff

I liked the curve fin, and actually have been adding almost a double curve (like a j) I think this also helps keep the sponson planted in race water, the extra curve keeps the sponson from popping up and out easily, this is just my opinion...
Some say a straight fin makes more speed in the straights and if angled correctly will still turn on a dime. I will experiment with both

Latest posts

Back