Scale Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Hey guys loking for some good pics of the Miss US (V). Ran in the late 50's. Need good shots of the tail and non trip lettering. Thanks Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chris - The first US V was the U-20 and was the former 5608 Hawaii Kai III. It was leased to Geo. Simon in '63 & driven by Don Wilson. The 2nd US V (6402 U-2) was built in '64, was red with (I believe) silver lettering & ran a full cowl. It also was driven by Don Wilson. In '65 the lettering was changed (not sure how much), it ran without an engine cowl & had a slanted firewall. Drivers were Roy Duby & Bill Muncey. In '66 the "V" was dropped & a speed stripe was added. Good pics of the variations could be difficult to find. I would definitely contact David Newton once you decide which one you want to build! Good Luck!

Larry

Hey Chris,

As Larry said:

Miss US - 5 (1) MHR 5608 old Hawaii Kai III leased for 1963 first pic.

Miss US - 5 (2) MHR 6402 in 1964 pics 2 & 3.

Miss US - 5 (2) MHR 6402 in 1965 pic #4

The last pic is one my Friend did a couple years ago.

I have a hull that I want to do as the '64 boat. These are the only pics I have seen of the '64 hull.

Where did that http://missus1.com/i...g-scheme_lg.jpg come from Phil. That's the first one of those I have seen that Roger did. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Buddy,

That's the first 3 view in that format I've seen that Roger had drawn. I was hoping there were more somewhere. Only because I enjoyed the three view so much - - that I won't harass Phil about sending three view for the Miss US 1 when Chris asked for Miss US 5. He's been building so many boats lately - the fumes must be getting to him. Sorry Phil. The devil made me do it !!! Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Thanks Boatman Those are really good pics. Are those Newton pics?

Hey Chris,

As Larry said:

Miss US - 5 (1) MHR 5608 old Hawaii Kai III leased for 1963 first pic.

Miss US - 5 (2) MHR 6402 in 1964 pics 2 & 3.

Miss US - 5 (2) MHR 6402 in 1965 pic #4

The last pic is one my Friend did a couple years ago.

I have a hull that I want to do as the '64 boat. These are the only pics I have seen of the '64 hull.

Where did that http://missus1.com/i...g-scheme_lg.jpg come from Phil. That's the first one of those I have seen that Roger did. CHEERS !!! Bob

I just finished painting this exact hull.

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

1964scale002.jpg

002-13.jpg

You would have to ask Allan Yuen. I repaired and painted this for him. Not sure who he got it from, was a fair bit of work to get straight but the final product turned out great.

"Thanks Boatman Those are really good pics. Are those Newton pics?"

The first one was in an chronical article the Miss US series of boats, maybe lesliefield. Second pic was sent to me - no data. Third was from 1988 Unlimiteds Detroit calendar - John Osterberg photo. Forth also sent - no data. As many models for this hull that I have seen over the years - there seems to be a shortage of photos available.

You did a very nice job on that hull, Kevin - Looks Great !!! What red did you use??? CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get the paint code for you when I get into the shop. I used a 2 part system automotive base/clear.

Kevin

Hey Chris,

Just found this on www.craftworks.com - - Thank you Larry K. Some really neat stuff here. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back