Scale Hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinP

:rolleyes: I am building over winter a scale hydro of the Tide.

Looking forward from the transom the left side sponson is wider than the right side as per original full size Unlimited hydro.

The pics I have of the original unlimited have the turn fin on the left side of the hull.I have always mounted the turn fin on the right side of my hydros.

Should the fin be on the left or right side of the scale hull?I am just a bit concearned that the scale wont turn if I mount the fin on the wrong side. I want to install a mounting plate on the inside of the hull before I put the deck on.

:rolleyes: I am building over winter a scale hydro of the Tide.

Looking forward from the transom the left side sponson is wider than the right side as per original full size Unlimited hydro.

The pics I have of the original unlimited have the turn fin on the left side of the hull.I have always mounted the turn fin on the right side of my hydros.

Should the fin be on the left or right side of the scale hull?I am just a bit concearned that the scale wont turn if I mount the fin on the wrong side. I want to install a mounting plate on the inside of the hull before I put the deck on.

Since our engines turn the opposite direction of the 'Full Sized' hydros, we also turn in the opposite direction of the full sized hydros, running the course clockwise rather than counter-clockwise. Therefore, you will need to mount your turn fin on the right side sponson of your scale hull (looking from transom forward). :)

To expand further on Jeff's post, on the full size boats, the sponson on the right is 10" wider to take more of the aerodynamic and hydrodynamic load in the corner. On the scale boats, the left sponson is the wider one, staying with the mirror image dictated by engine rotation

Back